Harvard/Mass General-trained forensic psychiatrist, ABPN board certified in Psychiatry with 20 research publications, 2 book chapters and 12 psychiatric awards (6 of them national awards). I am a member of six psychiatric professional organizations (APA, AAPL, AAP, ATAP, ATSA and SPA).
Dr. Johnson has specializes in certain areas within civil forensic psychiatry. He works with the California Medical Board’s Expert Reviewer Program and Medical Consultant Program to review cases regarding deviation from the psychiatric standard of care. He accepts cases nationally in civil forensic psychiatry matters related to the following areas:
Independent Medical Evaluations (IMEs)
Has undergone specialized training in performing IMEs, specifically:
i. a 1-year forensic psychiatry fellowship with Harvard/Mass General, and
ii. the 2-day SEAK IME training course
iii. has performed over 20 IMEs within the past 3 years
Testamentary Capacity (Ability to Make a Legally-Enforceable Will)
Has worked on prior testamentary and matrimonial capacity cases.
Psychiatrist Malpractice/Standard of Care (Following Harm to a Patient)
Works with the California Medical Board’s Expert Reviewer Program and Medical Consultant Program to review cases regarding
deviation from the psychiatric standard of care.
Negligence Lawsuits/Psychic Harm Evaluations (e.g. PTSD or Depression Resulting from an Accident, Workplace Event)
Employer/Employee Litigation/Emotional Distress Resulting from Employment Disputes
Fitness for Duty Evaluations (i.e. for licensed professionals such as pilots, dentists, physicians, nurses, attorneys)
Has published two peer-reviewed academic articles (current CV) on fitness-for-duty evaluations for physicians and other professionals.
Has published a peer-reviewed academic article (current CV) on the topic of stalking of physicians. Recent testimony in a stalking case.
Has lectured regularly on the detection of malingering in both psychiatric patients and non-psychiatric evaluees.
Areas of Expertise
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Industrial Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sexual Addiction
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD, JD, LLM
ABPN Board certified in Psychiatry
Medical licenses: CA, TX, MA
Bar license: NY
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: APA (American Psychiatric Association)
ATAP (Association of Threat Assessment Professionals)
ATSA (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers)
AAPL (American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: National Conference Presentation Topics:
Veterans’ Courts (Involving PTSD and Depression)
Fitness for Duty for Physicians, Pilots, Attorneys and Other Licensed Professionals
Forensic Psychiatric Education of Residents and Medical Students
Mass Murderer Correspondence
Dr. Johnson has presented at Harvard/Mass General and Baylor on the following topics:
Malingering/Lie Detection (plus standardized instruments)
HIPAA/patient confidentiality and privilege
Psychiatric malpractice/standard of care
Violence risk assessment (plus standardized instruments)
Suicide risk assessment (plus standardized instruments)
Treatment options in pregnancy
Psychosis (e.g. schizophrenia):
Dementia, executive dysfunction testing
Psychiatric shelf examination review
Legal issues in psychiatry
Conducting a psychiatric interview
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Consultation is free
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: call
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: none
Available Upon Request