Dr. Paul Been is a board certified emergency medicine physician (ABEM) and a staff emergency physician at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, IL.
Dr. Been's long-term role as chairperson for a large health system (including a Level 1 trauma center) emergency medicine Peer Review Committee distinguishes him as an expert in whether or not the standard of care benchmark has been met in emergency medicine, EMS and trauma cases. He has experience working at free-standing emergency departments, also.
Dr. Been trained at Cleveland Clinic/Akron General Medical Center -- the oldest community emergency medicine residency program in the nation -- where he was chief resident.
Dr. Been was also a longtime medical director of a busy EMS department.
Prior to his current role, he worked for a decade at Grant Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio -- the state's largest trauma center, where he was Director of Medical Education.
Presently, Dr. Been works as a staff emergency medicine physician at Northwestern Medicine; additionally, he often works on the lower acuity side of the emergency department, qualifying him as an expert in Urgent Care medicine.
Having multiple ED leadership roles, Dr. Been has over a decade of experience in EMS, addiction medicine, peer review, expert witness work & medical education.
Dr. Been is an ATLS instructor.
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Critical Care Medicine
- Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medicine
- Medical Records
- Medical Toxicology
- Physician Assistants
- Trauma Surgery/Trauma Medicine
- Urgent Care
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Emergency Medicine Residency: Cleveland Clinic/Akron General Medical Center (Akron, Ohio)
Chief resident, 2012
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Board certified, ABEM
Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Clinical Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 19
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Emergency medicine, urgent care medicine & pre-hospital (EMS) medicine.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60%
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: -Consulting
-Detailed case reviews
-Expert witness testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $550/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $2000/day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel and expenses to be covered.
Available Upon Request.