Dr. Paul Abato
Dr. Abato is a Medicinal Chemist. His expertise includes drug research, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, drug formulation for; IT, IV, IP, ICV, IN, IM and oral dosing routs, stability studies, extensive structure-activity relationships, efficacy, pharmacokinetics, as well as all pre clinical testing required for IND submission to the FDA.
Dr Abato was awarded the prestigious “Heroes of Chemistry Award” by the American Chemical Society in 2019 for his contribution to NUZYRA, the latest antibiotic that works on antibacterial resistant bacteria.
Additionally, he has developed qualified clinical candidates for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and Multiple Sclerosis. As a Medicinal Chemist, Dr Abato has also conducted research in the areas of Malaria, Tuberculosis and Cancer.
Dr Abato provides consulting services for medicinal chemistry, drug formulation, chemistry manufacturing and controls, literature search/summary and management of CROs. Presently Dr Abato is consulting for Bill and Melinda Medical Research Institute.
EXPERT WITNESS CONSULTING
Dr Abato has been involved in 6 cases, been deposed 3 times and has testified attrial in a federal court.
He has consulted for major players on the generic and branded side. Dr Abato is familiar with Hatch-Waxman / ANDA type litigation. He has also been involved with a high stakes trademark infringement case within the synthetic biology market space.
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph. D. in Chemistry from Brown University
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I currently teach general science lecture courses at Roger Williams and Salve Regina University
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained 6 times as an expert witness
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained mostly in Hatch-Waxman type litigation ie ANDA cases. My expertise is medicinal chemistry and formulations. I have also been retained in a high stakes trademark case involving major players within synthetic biology within the field of biotechnology. I have also been retained to opine on the pharmacokinetics of alcohol elimination as determined by the soberlink breathalyzer device.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 3
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: January, 2021
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 6
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, drug testing, expert reports, testimony, patent infringement and drug formulation opinions, reverse engineering of drug formulations, contract disputes and claim construction
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 500
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: My travel rate is 250/h
Available Upon Request