I provide non-testifying litigation consulting or expert witness opinion in defamation of character cases, including both libel and slander (or portrayal in a false light). My familiarity comes from 18 years of regular contact with defamation law and cases, tracking and analyzing the spread of defamation and economic damages, working with law firms to frame defamation cases or defenses, and hundreds of consultations with victims of defamation, most of them readers of my book Fighting Slander, published in 2003, 5th Edition available at https://www.amazon.com/dp/1737322528 .
When acting as a non-testifying litigation consultant I can also provide reputation repair for defamation victims/targets, leveraging 25 years of experience as a credible journalist and one of the first practitioners of search engine optimization.
(I cannot provide defamation repair when retained as an expert witness, because it would create a conflict between impartiality and advocacy.)
My experience comes from the study of defamation law; 25 years in programming and online forums; being a CFO, financial software designer, and digital analyst; and hundreds of consultations with victims of defamation, most of them readers of my book Fighting Slander, published in 2003, 5th Edition forthcoming in Spring 2021.
I am familiar with most aspects of defamation, from gossip campaigns to online defamation and reputation management. Particular areas of expertise:
• Economic damages resulting from defamation.
• Online defamation, whether via social media, anonymous complaints to rating web sites, or head-on SEO attacks.
• Maliciously, negligently, or recklessly inflicted emotional distress.
• Traditional mainstream media libel. I've been an editor, journalist, and author for 28 years, and know the aspects from fault to hot-button words.
• Helping attorneys identify the elements of a defamation case, and putting the case or defense together.
Conflicts: very few. I'm not inherently a plaintiffs' or defendants' expert witness; I deliver opinion based on the facts, and whether I feel I have significant expertise in the issue.
For further information please download my CV from this website, see a broader bio at www.nicholascarroll.com , or contact me by phone or email for a consultation or fee schedule.
- Business Interruption
- Business Valuation
- Credit Damage
- Intellectual Property
- International Marketing
- Lost Profits
- Printing & Publishing
- Fighting Slander, 5th Edition, 170 pages - Cover and Table of Contents
- Defamation of Character: The Road to Emotional Meltdown - The Huffington Post
- Defamation is no longer a "rich man's tort,"— but neither has it become the poor person's surefire lottery ticket. - The American Bar Association Journal
Available Upon Request