Nelhs Betancourt, MD, MPH, DABT, CHCQM, CIME
Irvine, CA 92604
Dr. Nelhs Betancourt is an experienced, articulate and highly knowledgeable physician with 25 plus years experience in evaluating and treating Internal Medicine and Occupational Medicine patients. Board certified in Internal Medicine and General Toxicology, he has testified on solvents, asbestos, pneumoconiosis, cancer as well as work-related internal medicine conditions (causation, apportionment, impairment ratings, QME work). He has a Masters' Degree in Occupational Medicine, and currently supervises the care of approximately 8000 workers in the aerospace and pharmaceutical industries. Experienced in Fit-for-Duty, Independent Medical Evaluations for short/long term disability, Return to Work, ADA accommodations, AMA impairment ratings, medical surveillance, DOT examination and drug screen interpretation. Board certified as Physician advisor in Workers' Compensation. Certified independent medical evaluator. Board certified health care manager and quality assurance.
- Fitness for Duty Evaluation
- Health Care Litigation
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Industrial Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Toxicology
- Occupational Medicine
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Board Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, American Board of Toxicology, American Board of Independent Medical Evaluators, American Board of Quality Assurance Utilization Review Physicians, Board Certified Physician Advisor, Medical Review Officer and certified in the use of the AMA Guides, for impairment determinations.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
American College of Physicians
American College of Medical Toxicology
Alpha Omega Alpha
American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians
American College of Physician Advisors
Alpha Omega Alpha
American College of Independent Medical Examiners
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Evaluating Obesity in the Workers’ Compensation Field, 54th Annual Obesity and Associated Conditions Symposium, October 1, 2004, American society of Bariatric Physicians, Orlando, FLA
Toxicology Basics, W/C Forum, Riverside, June 2000
Asbestos: Medical-Legal Aspects: W/C Insurance Hearing Professionals, Buena Park, March 2000
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: > 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Asbestos, Bauxite, Blood Alcohol, Cancer, Sleep Apnea, Toxicology
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: >100
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 2023
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: > 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: >50
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: >25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Independent Medical Examinations
Medical Record Review
Interim Medical Director
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $3 per page
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $700
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $700
Available Upon Request