Michael G. Watters is a trial attorney of over 45 years with extensive trial as well as significant appellate experience. He formerly headed the Litigation Department of O'Brien, Watters & Davis, LLP from 1985-2018 and is the firm’s Managing Partner. Mr. Watters specializes in all aspects of trial work, with emphases on complex civil litigation, business litigation, employment litigation, family law, insurance and alternative dispute resolution. He also defends professional licensees and is a private mediator. From 2009 - 2014, Mr. Watters spent over 250 days in trial (including two separate trials of over 70 days each).
Mr. Watters has been retained as an expert in the areas of Standard of Care of Attorneys, Fee Disputes and Attorney Ethics. Mr. Watters is qualified as an expert in various jurisdictions including Los Angeles County. Additionally, Mr. Watters consults on litigated matters, trains civil litigators and evaluates cases.
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Family Law
- Legal Ethics
- Legal Fees
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Member of the State Bar of California (No. 63140)
University of California at Berkeley, B.S.
University of California at Berkeley, M.B.A.
UC Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member Sonoma County Bar Association
American Bar Association
Redwood Empire Trial Attorneys (former member)
Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California (ADC) (former member)
DRI (former member)
AAA Commercial Arbitration Panelist (former)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor of Tort Law at Empire College School of Law (early 90's)
MCLE programs on behalf of the SCBA, particularly on depositions including "Deposition Objections" on 8-10-15
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 10
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Standard of Care of Attorneys
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 3
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: April 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: San Diego County Superior Court
Ventura County Superior Court
Los Angeles County Superior Court
Kings County Superior Court (pending)
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 10
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 4+ years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Standard of Care of Attorneys Expert, Attorney Ethics Expert, Fee Disputes Expert, Defense of Professional Licenses, Training of Civil Litigators, Consultation on Litigated Matters, Case Evaluations
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $550
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $550
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel Expenses
References upon request.