Michael D. Haughey, P.E., expert witness, providing mechanical engineering design of building systems since 1974 including HVAC, air conditioning, heating, plumbing, fire protection, low-energy systems, sustainable buildings consultation, and energy improvement retrofits.
Areas of Expertise
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Professional Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado
ASHRAE High Performance Building Design Professional Certified (HBDP)
AEE Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
LEED TM 2.0 Accredited Professional
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of California at Santa Barbara, 1974
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Rocky Mountain Chapter, Director 2015-2016, 1997-1999; President 1991-1992; and Past Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Education Chairperson. Keynote speaker at 2004 Rocky Mountain Chapter ASHRAE Annual Tech Conference.
Colorado Renewable Energy Society, Member, Board of Directors, Secretary
Rocky Mountain Association of Energy Engineers, Member
Toastmasters International, ATM, member since September 1988
Colorado Earthquake Hazard Mitigation Council (a Colorado State policy advisory group)
USGBC – Colorado: USGBC Greenbuild 2006 Colorado Host Committee Chairperson, USGBC-Colorado Board of Directors, Education Director and Programs Coordinator, started and managed the monthly technical programs.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Faculty Lecturer, HVAC Design (graduate & undergraduate), CU Boulder; Faculty Lecturer, HVAC Design, CU Denver.
Developed and presented seminars and lectures for groups such as the Rocky Mountain Chapter of ASHRAE, Pike Peak Chapter of ASHRAE, The Colorado Renewable Energy Society (CRES), World Renewable Energy Forum (WREF), CEFPI (the Council of Educational Facility Planners International), the US Green Building Council (USGBC) – Colorado Chapter, USGBC Greenbuild 2005 Technical Session, AGC (Colorado), AIA Committee on the Environment (COTE – Colorado), EPA & Denver Mayor’s Office, IFMA, BOMA, BOAC, AFEC, SAME, to classes at the University of Colorado at Boulder and Colorado State University, and to other professional societies and groups. Presented the Keynote Address to the Rocky Mountain Chapter ASHRAE 2004 Annual Tech Conference. Presents seminars on various topics including Low Energy Mechanical Systems, USGBC-LEED Overview, Ground Source Heat Pumps, LEED EB, High Altitude Design, Ice Thermal Storage, Economizers, Living Buildings, Seismic Risk in Colorado, Living Buildings, Mechanical for Net-Zero Buildings, Climate Change, and Sustainable Design.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
References upon request.