I am the Chief Medical Physicist in Radiation Oncology at a facility in New Albany, Indiana. I am responsible for all scientific and technical aspects of imaging, treatment and radiation safety and am the highest ranking scientist in the hospital. I am a Diplomate of the American Board of Radiology (ABR), Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), pending Fellow of the American College of Radiology* (ACR), on the Board of Directors for the AAPM, a U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved Authorized Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and Authorized Medical Physicist (AMP), an Adjunct Associate Professor of Medical Physics at Wright State University, and a veteran Accreditation Site Reviewer for the American College of Radiology (ACR). Formerly, I was a U.S. NRC Medical Consultant for 5 years, a regional President of the AAPM, Editor-in-Chief for the Medical Dosimetry Journal, an Editorial Board Member for the Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, and a veteran Accreditation Site Reviewer for the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO). I have accumulated 20 years of clinical experience in Radiation Oncology Medical Physics, authored more than 50 journal articles/book chapters with most as the corresponding author, and the Principle Investigator for various grants in medicine and in industry. I am extensively experienced as a medical expert witness in cases involving radiation oncology malpractice, dosimetry, health physics, radiation over exposure in medicine and in industry, radiation safety, regulatory issues and dosimetry, and accepts cases both for Defense and Plaintiff teams.
Whether you need an expert witness for preliminary review or for active case involvement, I take on cases for Defense and Plaintiff attorneys that somehow tie to radiation. Most cases are related directly to the field of radiation oncology (radiation therapy) in the form of a malpractice or misadministration lawsuit. Other examples of cases possible include imaging doses, environmental radiation dose, excessive dose to radiation workers or to the public from radiation in industry. I also have expertise in areas related to copyright infringement, patent infringement, breach of contract, wrongful termination of employment, health physics, dosimetry, radiation safety, as well as medical device failure from radiation, product liability, and other related issues.
- Failure Analysis
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste
- Intellectual Property
- Interventional Radiology
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nuclear Medicine
- Products Liability
- Radiation Oncology
- Safety Engineering
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: American Board of Radiology
- Board Certified
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Authorized Medical Physicist
State Licensure / Registration
- Licensed / Registered in various States
Government Radiation Triage U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) at REACT/S: 2008 Oak Ridge, TN
Clinical Residency Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center: 2002-2003 Fort Wayne, IN
Clinical Residency Baptist Memphis Cancer Institute: 2001-2002 Memphis, TN
Clinical Residency Radiological Physics Consulting, P.C.: 1999-2001 Louisville, KY
Academic Residency Vanderbilt University: 1997-1999 Nashville, TN
Master of Science: Atomic Physics University of Louisville: 1995-1997 Louisville, KY
Bachelor of Science in Physics University of Louisville: 1992-1995 Louisville, KY
Cooperative Internship University of Louisville, Radiation Safety: 1994 Louisville, KY
Minor in Mathematics Indiana University: 1990-1992 New Albany, IN
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: ORVC of the AAPM Past-President
ORVC of the AAPM President 2011
ORVC of the AAPM President 2010
ORVC of the AAPM President-Elect
AAPM Board of Directors Delegate from ORVC
AAPM Administrative Council Ex Officio
ACR Medical Physics Practice Accreditation Site Reviewer
ACRO Medical Physics Practice Accreditation Site Reviewer
AAPM Insurance Subcommittee
AAPM Task Group: Management of Radiotherapy Patients with Implanted Cardiac Pacemakers/Defibrillators (TG-203)
AAPM Task Group: Electronic Brachytherapy (TG-152)
AAPM Task Group: Modeling and Accounting for the Imaging Guidance Radiation Doses to Radiotherapy Patients in Treatment Planning (TG-180) (Term I & II)
AAPM Task Group: Placement Services Redesign (TG-173)
AAPM Regional Organization Committee
AAPM Clinical Practice Committee (CPC)
AAPM Working Group on Model Quality Assurance Programs in Radiation Oncology and Radiology
AAPM Medical Physics Licensure and Regulatory Recognition Subcommittee
AAPM Working Group on Response to Radiation Incidents (WGRRI)
AAPM Therapy Physics Radiation Safety Subcommittee (RSSC) (Term I & II)
AAPM Peer Review Clearinghouse Subcommittee (PRCSC)
AAPM History Committee (Term I: Member Vice Chair & Term II: Chair)
ORVC of the AAPM Panel Judge for Spring Symposium
ORVC of the AAPM Joint OH Task Group Ex Officio
AAPM Moderator: History Committee Symposium (History of Task Group Calibrations)
AAPM Moderator: History Committee Symposium (Radionuclide Therapy: Dr. Saul Hertz to Present)
AAPM Moderator: History Committee Symposium (Coolidge, the X-ray Tube, and History Archives)
AAPM Moderator: Medical Practical Medical Physics Tract - Strategies for Total Quality
ACMP Editorial Board for the Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics
AAMD (American Association of Medical Dosimetrists) Editorial Board for the Medical Dosimetry Journal
IHE-RO (Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise – Radiation Oncology) of Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: - Wright State University, Physics Department Adjunct Professor: 2010-2011, 2015-2020
- Morehead State University, Physics Department Capstone Advisor (pro bono): 2018
- Marshall University, Physics Department Capstone Advisor (pro bono): 2015-2017
- University of Louisville, Physics Department Capstone Advisor (pro bono): 2012
- Vanderbilt University, Physics Department Graduate Assistant: 1998-1999
- University of Louisville, Physics Department Graduate Assistant: 1995-1997
- Indiana University, Physics Department Undergraduate Assistant: 1993-1995
- Dosimetry Training Tool mentor (web-based) for Dosimetrists pursuing CMD (pro bono): 2012-2013
- Adopt-a-Physicist mentor (web-based) for high school students (pro bono): 2010-2011
- Mentor.net mentor (web-based) for college students majoring in physics (pro bono): 2009-2010
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 23
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: - Medical malpractice
- Industry negligence
- Patent infringement
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 35%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 4
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: N/A
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 8
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Testimony, review, consulting, testing, reports, site inspections, audits, calculations, etc.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250/hr - Divided into quarter hour increments
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350/hr - Review/Report
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400/hr - Deposition
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400/hr - Testimony
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel stipend, travel expenses, copy fees, etc.
Available Upon Request