Michael J. Canaan, CPP CFLC, is a Premises Liability Expert Witness with over 45 years of experience in military and civil law enforcement, as well as corporate and private sector security and investigative positions.
Assignments have taken him from the Bering Sea to Southeast Alaska, across Canada and the United States, to countries in Central and South American in case venues ranging from educational settings, amphitheaters and stadiums, nightclubs and sports bars, ships, casinos, retail environments, food processing facilities, malls, and shopping centers.
Expert cases have involved evaluating failure to meet best practices, duty or standard of care in areas such as:
• Inadequate or negligent hiring, retention, training, supervision, staffing, and terminations
• Use of force or excessive force, threats, harassment, and intimidation
• Inadequate or non-non-existent policies and procedures, post orders
• Assaults, voyeurism, rape, sexual assault, robbery, shootings, stabbings, and homicide
• Security technology integration, improper or inadequate physical security infrastructure or systems installation
• Workplace violence
Mr. Canaan has worked over 35 expert cases, with testimony experience in both deposition and trial.
He is Board Certified in Security Management by the American Society for Industrial Security, International. ASIS is the largest professional security practitioner association with over 38,000 members worldwide, of which only 2200 have received this prestigious certification. Mr. Canaan is also a Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant with the Forensic Expert Witness Association.
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crowd Control
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Premises Liability
- Security Guards
- Special Event Security
- Workplace Violence
Available Upon Request