Michael J. Canaan, CPP CFLC is a Forensic Security Premises Liability Expert with over 42 years’ experience in military and civil law enforcement, as well as, corporate and private sector security and investigative positions.
Mr. Canaan is Board Certified in Security Management by the American Society for Industrial Security. ASIS is the largest professional security practitioner association with over 38,000 members worldwide, of which only 2200 have achieved this certification. I am also a Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant with the Forensic Expert Witness Association.
Assignments have been in locations from the Bering Sea to Southeast Alaska, across Canada and the United States, and to countries in Central and South America in case venues ranging from educational settings, amphitheaters and stadiums, nightclubs and sports bars, ships, casinos, retail environments, food processing facilities, malls, and shopping centers.
Mr. Canaan's work typically involves evaluating failure to meet best practices, duty, or standard of care in areas such as hiring, training, supervision, policies and procedures, staffing, and technology.
Those negligent security cases have ranged from voyeurism, violation of privacy, improper installation of security infrastructure or systems, excessive force, assaults, rape, robbery, shootings, and homicide.
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crowd Control
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Premises Liability
- Security Guards
- Special Event Security
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Protection Professional - American Society for Industrial Security, International
Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant - Forensic Expert Witness Association
Bachelor of Arts Degree, Criminal Justice - Washington State University
United States – Drug Enforcement Administration Registration Number
United States – Federal Communications Commission, Extra Class Amateur Radio License
State of Washington – Board of Pharmacy Registration Number
State of Washington – Private Investigation Agency Number
State of Washington – Armed Private Investigator Number
State of Washington – Registered Process Server Number
State of Washington – Department of Veterans Affairs Registration
State of Alaska – Alaska Business License Number
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • American Society for Industrial Security—International (ASIS)
• Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
• Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP)
• Espionage Research Institute International (ERII)
• National Council of Investigation and Security Services (NCISS)
• Northwest Fraud Investigators Association (NFIA)
• Pacific Northwest Association of Investigators (PNAI); current President/Lifetime Member
• Pacific Northwest Network of Forensic Expert Witnesses (PN2FEW)
• World Association of Detectives (WAD); Lifetime Member
• Seattle Shield, Seattle Police Department
• InfraGard, Federal Bureau of Investigation
• World Association of Detectives (WAD)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Numerous investigative and security topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: My work typically involves evaluating failure to meet security best practices, duty, or standard of care in areas such as hiring, training, supervision, policies and procedures, staffing, and technology. Those negligent security cases have ranged from voyeurism, violation of privacy, improper installation of security infrastructure or systems, excessive force, assaults, rape, robbery, shootings, and homicide.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 20
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 80
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 5
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 3
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: My expert services include, but are not limited to, evaluation, consultation, and investigation.
My investigative and security services are outlined at www.TridentSeattle.com.
Available Upon Request