Michael Barr is a former adjunct professor of computer engineering with more than twenty-five years of experience in the software industry, including over a decade spent developing software for embedded systems. Software he wrote has powered millions of products. Mr. Barr is the author of three books and more than seventy articles and papers about embedded software design and architecture and is internationally recognized as an expert in the field. He is also a founder of three companies, including Barr Group. In his work as a software expert witness, Mr. Barr has testified more than twenty times before judges and juries in matters ranging from patent infringement and validity to product liability to theft of copyrighted software and trade secrets. He has been qualified in U.S. and Canadian courts as an expert in computer software, electrical engineering, and satellite TV security and piracy.
- Computer Security
- Infotainment & Telematics Systems
- Software Engineering
- Trade Secrets
- Wireless Technology
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE), University of Maryland
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), University of Maryland
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Maryland
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), Member
Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE), Member
Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Member
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teaching:
I am former adjunct professor of electrical engineering and computer science, having taught at the University of Maryland
and Johns Hopkins University.
I have trained hundreds of professional engineers in the state-of-the-art techniques used for developing safe and secure embedded systems and software.
Industry Speaking Events:
I have been an invited speaker at 10+ industry trade events, including Embedded Systems Conferences around the world.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert 50+ times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: I have had my deposition taken 15+ times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I have testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator 25+ times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I have worked with the legal industry as an expert witness for 15+ years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: I provide legal teams with the following support for their cases:
-Source code reviews and software analysis
-Reverse engineering of electronic systems
Available Upon Request