Dr. Lee assists Attorneys and Legal Nurse Consultants with Medical, Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology cases. He performs this service for clients by conducting thorough reviews of case documentation, reviewing the most current medical literature, providing clear and concise case summaries.
Dr. Matthew C. Lee, MD, RPh, MS is a practicing Physician and Pharmacist who has also performed research as a pharmacologist in the field of opioids and cannabinoids. Since Dr. Lee began providing Medical and Pharmacy Expert-Witness services, his dual credentials and vast experiences have made his services highly desirable and sought after nationwide.
The Attorneys and Legal Nurse Consultants Dr. Lee has worked with in the past have found the three degree (dual profession) extremely beneficial, time saving, and cost effective.
Dr. Lee's case experience includes both civil and criminal cases. Criminal cases include postmortem pharmacological analysis for homicides. Affidavits of Merit, Anaphylactic reactions, Baxter recalled Heparin, Cosmetic Laser’s and medication photosensitivity, medication overdose, cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, Fentanyl overdose, Dilaudid overdose, Pharmacist miss fills, Pharmacist dispensing errors, Pharmacy Standard of Care, Medication adverse effects, Cognitive impairment, Falls related to medications both in and out of hospital, wrongful death, Medical Marijuana, Positive drug screens, safety in the work place, Independent Medical Exams, Return to Work Evaluations. Adverse Health Effects secondary to prolonged exposure/consumption of Tetrachloroethylene (TCE) contaminated well water. Toxic Torts, exposure to raw sewage (Sanitary Sewer Overflows) and noxious odors thereof. Workman’s compensation review regarding medication use and relation to injury claim. Life insurance denial of payment on claims secondary to drugs or medications.
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Drug Abuse
- Environmental Medicine
- Independent Medical Examinations (I.M.E.)
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Police & Penal
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Degrees:
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
Master of Science in Pharmacology and Toxicology (M.S.)
Bachelor's of Science in Pharmacy (B.S.)
Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry (B.S.)
License to Practice Medicine and Surgery by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
License to Practice Pharmacy by the States of Virginia and North Carolina.
Medical Review Office (MRO).
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American College of Environmental and Occupational Medicine
American College of Clinical Pharmacology
American Medical Association
Medical Society of Virginia
Richmond Academy of Medicine
American Society of Pharmacy Law
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Pharmacy and Pharmacology Case Studies for Legal Nurse Consultants, Postmortem Pharmacology, Opioid and Opiate Overdose, Opioid Pharmacology.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 82 (35 Plaintiff, 35 Defendant, 7 Workman's Compensation Medication Reviews, 5 Criminal cases).
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Causation (medication, pharmacology)
Opioids: Dilaudid (hydromorphone), Duragesic (fentanyl), Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, etc.
Affidavits of Merit
Pharmacist's miss filling prescriptions
Postmortem drug levels
Medication adverse effects
Physical and cognitive impairment of medication
Medication dispensing errors
Positive/false positive/negative drug screens
Causality of disability due to medication
Custodial competency and impairment due to medications
Involuntary Medication Administration to make competent for trial.
Medical Marijuana, Marijuana intoxication
Safety in the workplace
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 2013
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Affidavit of Merit.
Consulting for Medical, Clinical, Pharmacologic, Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical cases.
Medical record review.
Drug screen review/verification.
Evaluation of causal mechanisms.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial consultation, $0.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses at cost.