Matthew Furlong has over 20 years of experience working in the construction industry. He is also still building as a licensed contractor in Virginia and Washington, DC. In addition to current construction projects, Matthew has a second firm called Forst Consulting Group. This company specializes in forensic investigations related to construction deficiencies; building code and contract analysis; construction injury investigation.
Matthew has leveraged his extensive knowledge and expertise of building and construction practices, as well as job-site health and safety in order to provide consumers and the legal community with relevant opinions, professional advice, and expert testimony.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Building Contractor Liability
- Construction Damages
- Construction Insurance
- Construction Safety
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: State Licenses:
Virginia Class 'A' Residential and Commercial Building Contractor: License # 2705 141942A
Washington, DC General Contractor
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX) member: Student ID: 1575541
• Foundations of Courtroom Testimony – 16 Hour Course
American College of Forensic Examiners Institute (ACFEI) member: Student ID: 117164
• Certified Forensic Consultant
International Code Council University (ICC) member ID: 8789900
• B1 Residential Building Inspector certified
• E1 Residential Electrical Inspector certified
• Successful online completion of Constitution 101 – The Meaning and History of the Constitution
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training:
• OSHA-10 Hour certified
• OSHA-30 Hour certified
• OSHA Hazardous Communication Standard (HCS) certified
• Successful online completion of Fall Protection for Construction (OSHA 1926.501)
• Successful online completion of Electrical Safety (OSHA 1926 Subpart K)
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) training:
• IS-29 Public Information Officer Awareness (POI) certified
• IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS) certified
• IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incident certified
• IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) certified
• IS-800.b National Response Framework certified
• WMD/ Terrorism Awareness for Emergency Responders (AWR-160) certified
• EPA Lead-Safe Certified Renovator, certificate number: R-I-106481-13-00097
• NAUI Rescue Diver certified
• PADI Public Safety Diver certified (introduction to underwater forensics, rescue and recovery)
• Successful completion of the Virginia Boating Safety Course
• Emergency Vehicle Operator III licensed (EVOC III)
• Farm Equipment and Heavy Machinery Extrication certified
• Employed as an on-site EMT and ERT for the Federal Government during the construction of the new National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency building in Springfield, Virginia
• Virginia Emergency Medical Technician (expired license): First responder to accidents, incidences, and injuries; provided basic life support and transport; pre-hospital patient care reporting
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • American Bar Association (ABA) member: Member ID: 03135408
• National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) member: Member ID: 3223151
• International Code Council (ICC) member: Member ID: 8789900
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 100 plus.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Construction defect; building code and contract analysis; best construction practices; energy efficient homes; construction injury; job-site safety.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 95%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 5%
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Three years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Forensic investigations of construction defects; noise and radon testing; detailed reporting; building code and contract analysis; litigation support.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $200 per hour out of court
$250 per hour in court
James C. Judkins
Cowles, Rinaldi, Judkins & Korjus
10521 Judicial Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-385-9868 Ext 102