Dr. Martin H. Williams has offices in San Jose, Los Angeles, Orange County, Sacramento and San Diego. He has never failed to qualify as an expert in any Criminal, Civil or Administrative matter. He is an experienced psychological expert who has given sworn expert testimony in over 200 cases in the United States and abroad. Dr. Williams has consulted on well over 2000 licensing board, civil (state and federal) and criminal matters. He currently carries out fitness for duty evaluations for California professional licensing boards (physicians, dentists, chiropractors, nurses, psychotherapists, etc), as well as evaluations and testimony for security clearance appeals (CIA, NSA, DoD). He is a Forensic Evaluator for the Superior Court of California, offering court appointed testimony on competency to stand trial and insanity defense. He was formerly a Forensic Psychologist with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Board of Parole Hearings, and carried out risk assessments of potential parolees.
A University of California, Berkeley psychologist, he is respected for his work on psychotherapy ethics and malpractice, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), professional risk management, fitness for duty, assessment of emotional harm, malingering and sexual harassment. In addition to his forensic work, Dr. Williams has served ten years as Peer Review chair for the Psychiatry Department at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Santa Clara, California and is in full-time clinical and forensic practice. Dr. Williams specializes in the treatment of patients with Substance Abuse, Borderline Personality Disorder, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.
Dr. Williams has held an elected position on the Board of Directors of Psychologists in Independent Practice, a Division of the American Psychological Association. Dr. Williams served as the official representative of that Division to the Ethics Code Task Force of the American Psychological Association, the group that created the 2002 revision of the Ethics Code. Dr. Williams has offered seminars on ethics and risk management at meetings of the American Psychological Association, the American College of Forensic Psychology, the Nevada Psychological Association, Lehigh Valley Psychological Association, The Federal Bureau of Prisons, and the American Acadamy of Psychotherapists.
Dr. Williams is the author of over 25 published articles and book chapters that have appeared in professional publications and has recently completed a six year term as Associate Editor and Editor of the national professional publication, The Independent Practitioner.
Please contact Dr. Williams to discuss your case.
- Alcohol Abuse
- Drug Abuse
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Managed Care & HMOs
- Pain Management
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Addiction
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Spousal Abuse
- Testamentary Capacity
- Undue Influence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Licensed Psychologist, California 1976 (PSY 4642) and Virginia (810005269)
Qualification in Professional Psychology, Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards, 1998 (181)
Doctor of Philisophy, Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, 1975
Bacherlor of Arts (Highest Honors in Psychology), University of California, Los Angeles, 1968 (Summa Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Fellow, American Psychological Association (including Divisions of Independent Practice, Psychotherapy, Psychology and Law)
American College of Forensic Psychology
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Pressentations on Ethics and Risk Management before: American Psychological Association, American College of Forensic Psychology, Nevada Psychological Association, American Academy of Psychotherapists, Lehigh Valley Psychological Association.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 2000
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Psychotherapy standard of care; Fitness for duty, Malingering, Emotional damage claims (including workplace harassment), NGI, Competence to stand trial, PTSD, Elder abuse, Sexual/Racial harassment, Child molestation, Murder (battered woman syndrome, false confession, inability to form intent), sexually violent predator, restoration of sanity hearing, testamentary capacity, fitness for duty/security clearance.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 70
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 100+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: April 8, 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 210
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 210
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 26
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consultation, reports, psychological testing, record review, psychological evaluations, rebuttals, testimony in criminal, civil and administrative matters.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $525
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $525
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $650
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $650
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: When traveling away from home, I cap my daily fee at no more than ten hours for any 24 hour period (plus airfare and hotel).
John Fleer, Ph.D., J.D.
1850 Mt. Diablo Blvd,
Walnut Creek CA 94596
Karina Alvarez, J.D.
Santa Clara County Public Defender
120 W. Mission Street
San Jose, CA 95110
Rob McNeely, J.D.
Messer Caparello Attorneys At Law
2618 Centennial Place
Tallahassee, FL 32208
David Bonilla, J.D.
The Law Office of David Bonilla
901 H Street; Suite 620
Sacramento, CA 95814