Mr. Withrow specializes in Security and Police Practices & Procedures with a focus on Premises Liability, Hotel and Restaurant Safety, Crime Foreseeability, Negligence & Liability, Use of Force, Over Escalation, Emergency Preparedness, and Risk Management.
Mr. Withrow is experienced in complex trial preparation, report writing, and legal research with exceptional case management and communication skills. As a qualified expert in Alameda and San Joaquin counties, he is diligent at conducting safety-security audits and vulnerability assessments.
Mr. Withrow frequently evaluates Negligence and Liability, Standards of Care, Use of Force, Crime Foreseeability, Vulnerability Risk Assessments and Wrongful Death cases. As a detail-oriented critical and analytical thinker who understands the discovery process and stages of litigation, he has attained the CFLC designation (Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant).
-Nationally certified Forensic Consultant and Medical Investigator
-Nationally published author, lecturer, and instructor
-Workplace Violence Intervention/Hostile Terminations
-Violent Threat Mitigation/Risk Assessments
-Security standards/Standards of care/Best practices
-Vulnerability Assessments/Security Consulting
-Guard Performance/Inadequate or Negligent Security
-Crime Prevention/Crime Foreseeability
-Use of Force and Over-escalation
-30 plus years combined law enforcement and security management
Mr. Mark Withrow CFLC, CHPP, CFC, CMI
Golden Gate Security Consulting
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Disaster Management
- Fire & Life Safety
- Hotel Security
- Human Resources
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Law Enforcement
- Lighting & Illumination
- Negligent Hiring
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Premises Liability
- School Safety
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Special Event Security
- Violent Crimes
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Eagle Scout Alumni Organization, Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant, Certified Homeland Protection Professional, Certified Forensic Consultant, Certified Medical Investigator, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services/Department of Consumer Affairs current permits (State of CA), UC Davis graduate (B.A. Psychology)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA), American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP), California Crime Prevention Officers Association (CCPOA), Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP Worldwide), American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS International), Global Society of Homeland and National Security Professionals GSHNSP), Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA), National Sheriff's Association, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (SFTLA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: National Conference presenter, subject matter expert: Personal Safety/Situational Awareness, Emergency Preparedness, Child Safety Awareness, Foreign and Domestic Travel Safety Best Practices, Fire Prevention and Safety, Street Smart Self-Defense, Managing Aggressive Behavior, Verbal Defusing and De-escalation Skills for Security Officers
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No, never
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Twenty cases. Over 80 site evaluations and vulnerability assessments
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Workplace violence, vulnerability assessments, security audits, risk assessment, security standards and practices, standards of care, use of force/over-escalation, guard performance, negligent/inadequate security, crime foreseeability
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40 per cent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60 per cent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 7 depositions
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 7 times
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 7 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 11 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Security consulting, site assessments, penetration testing, site inspections, risk assessment, workplace violence intervention, threat mitigation, physical security measures (cameras, motion detection, monitoring, fencing...)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My rate continues to be $ 375 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: My standard rate remains at $ 375 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $ 375 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $ 375 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Please refer to my 2 page Retention Agreement
Brian Thiessen, Esq.
Law Office of Brian Thiessen
43 Quail Court #202
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Hinshaw & Culbertson, LLP
214 Main Street # 110
El Segundo, CA 90245