Dr. Mayer is an independent consultant and scholar that holds the position of Visiting Fellow, Program in Integrative Knowledge and Human Flourishing, Harvard University. He has been a full-time tenured professor with appointments in statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, biomedical informatics, public health and medicine (psychiatry). He held various titles including Professor at Arizona State University, (Part-time) Professor, Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, and Affiliated Professor of a Mayo Clinic/ASU joint program in Biomedical Informatics, and a member of the Research Staff at Mayo Clinic.
He continues to do research and mentor young physicians and medical students while doing a limited amount of consulting in epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, epidemiology and clinical trials. His consulting projects often focus on model development, execution and inferences. He is one of the few MD/PhD biostatistician-epidemiologists. He now resides in Dana Point, California.
He has worked on a wide range of problems in a variety of specialties in Public Health and Medicine. The common component of most of these problems is that there is a data set to analyze or, more commonly, there are statistical studies to be reviewed and evaluated. These include clinical trials, observational studies, and statistical reviews such as meta-analyses. About a third of his consulting is for industry and interest groups outside of litigation.
He prides himself on being able to communicate complex ideas in simple language. His primary interests are the evaluation of epidemiological and statistical data and models in a clinical, regulatory, or legal arena.
Dr. Mayer has worked on problems in injury causation, drug development and evaluation, product liability, patent disputes, occupational and environmental exposures, and medical malpractice. He has worked on data and analyses in numerous specialties including toxicology, internal medicine (cardiology, endocrinology, etc.) Ob/Gyn, psychiatry, and surgery and has a preference towards problems that are complex.
Areas of Expertise
- Criminal Law
- Environmental Toxicology
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Health Care Litigation
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Medical Toxicology
- Personal Injury
- Police Procedures
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Testamentary Capacity
- Undue Influence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD with post-doctoral training in medical epidemiology and with PhD in statistics and biostatistics. Dr. Mayer has been a full professor of biostatistics, epidemiology, public heath and medicine. He has worked on problems in product liability, drug and device approval, monitoring for safety, causality, clinical trials, evaluation of epidemiological evidence, occupational and environmental exposures and malpractice. He is one of the few physicians with a PhD in statistics with specialization in biostatistics and epidemiology.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Dr. Mayer has been affiliated with many societies over the years including the Royal Statistical Society (Fellow), The Society for Epidemiological Research, The American Association for Advancement in Science, The Society for Environmental Epidemiology, The American Statistical Association, Society for Controlled Clinical Trials, The Institute of Mathematical Statistics and several others
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Dr. Mayer has recently become an independent scholar and consultant after being a full-time professor for 40+ years. He has taught epidemiology, clinical epidemiology, evidence-based medicine and basic and advanced courses and seminars in statistics and biostatistics. He has given dozens of public speeches and presented dozens of papers at professional meetings. Dr. Mayer is considered to be a dynamic teacher, superb public speaker and excellent communicator
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: About 400 times over 40 years including being a consulting expert as well as being a testifying expert (about 300 times)
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Clinical Trials, Social Methodology, Model Evaluation, Statistical Review; Malpractice, Product Liability, Wrongful Death, Clinical Trials Evaluation, Data Mining, Evaluation of Epidemiological Studies. Product Lability, Patent Disputes, Drug and Device Development, Approval and Safety Monitoring, Environmental Epidemiology, Occupational Epidemiology, Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Gynecological Epidemiology, Toxicological Epidemiology, Psychiatric Epidemiology, Forensic Epidemiology, Vision Science.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: about 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: about 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: About 100 over 40 years
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: About 200
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: About 30
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: About 45
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, biostatistical review, statistical analysis, data analysis, study review, model evaluation, valuation of epidemiological studies and clinical trials,evaluation of causal content of epidemiological studies, record review, meta analysis, data mining, report writing,etc.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: same
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: same
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: same
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: only direct expenses required to do the assignment
Benjamin Bedard , Esquire
ROBERTS, REYNOLDS, BEDARD & TUZZIO, PLLC
470 Columbia Drive, Bldg. C101
West Palm Beach, Florida 33409
Kathleen J. Love, Esquire
McGinn, Carpenter, Montoya & Love
201 Broadway SE
ALBUQUERQUE NM 87102
Michael W. Brewer, Esquire
HILTGEN & BREWER, P.C.
9505 North Kelley Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73131
Curtis A. "Chip" Thurston Jr, Esquire
Thurston Law Offices
434 Marietta Street #402
Atlanta, Georgia 30313
Phone: (404) 523-6960
Robert L. Blank, Esquire
RUMBERGER, KIRK & CLADWELL, P.A.
100 North Tampa Street, Suite 2000
Tampa, Florida 33602