Premises Liability/Negligent Security Expert.
Security Management Consultant - serving U.S. and international clients.
As an FBI Special Agent, I worked in the areas of Foreign Counterintelligence, Fugitives, and ViCAP (Violent Criminal Apprehensions).
I served as Senior Vice President & Chief Security Officer for Sony Electronics' global operations; and am the founder/principal advisor of Royal Security Group LLC.
I was appointed by the Mayor of San Diego to sit on the Citizen's Review Board on Police Practices and led one of the evaluation teams.
I am a board certified business and organizational security management consultant with over 32 years of experience in premises liability, negligent security, use of force, workplace violence, special event security, security policies & procedures, negligent hiring/supervision, and investigations.
I am a contributing author to "Strategic Security Management: A Risk Assessment Guide For Decision Makers, Second Edition."
In 2019 I was invited to join the eight person Senior Advisory Group with the FBI's Domestic Security Alliance Council based in Washington, D.C., and I was elected to the Board of Directors for the FBI-affiliated Infragard San Diego Chapter.
I earned a Master’s Degree, in business and organizational security management, summa cum laude, from Webster University. And I received my undergraduate degree from Florida International University in English with a minor in Business. I received additional senior executive education with the Harvard JFK School of Government, Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management, and the University of Michigan Business School.
- Apartment/Condominium Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Premises Liability
- Retail Security
- School Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Protection Professional (CPP) since 1997, re-certified every three years
California Licensed Investigator: License # 29029
Master's Degree (MA) in Business and Organizational Security Management, Webster University, summa cum laude (4.0)
BA in English with a minor in Business Management, Florida International University
University of Louisville - CPTED Certificate (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: FBI Senior Advisory Group, Domestic Security Alliance Council (Washington, DC)
FBI-affiliated Infragard Board of Directors (San Diego Chapter)
International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC) - Committee Chair, Former Executive Board Member
International Security Management Association (ISMA) (Past President)
Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA) - Former President, San Diego Chapter & Member of National Board
Association of Threat Management Professionals (ATAP)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct and guest lecturer at UCSD, Florida International University, California State University, Grossmont College, National University and numerous domestic and international speaking engagements. Topics included: investigations, crisis management, meeting security, global supply chain security, business risks, six sigma, corporate espionage, business continuity and resilience, emerging trends, environmental issues, & workplace violence prevention
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 15+ cases for plaintiff and defense counsels
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Use of Force
Guard Force Negligence
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 4+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 1
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 5
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Security consulting, risk assessments, program benchmark studies, site inspections, training (workplace violence prevention/active shooter response), crisis management planning, corporate investigations, policies and procedures
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial phone consultation is free.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
David Russell w/ Keller Rohrback LLP, 203-623-1900
Brian Gonzalez w/ Law Offices of Brian C. Gonzalez, 800-884-1072
Arnold Wang w/ Arias, Sanguinetti, Stahle & Torrijos LLP, 310-844-9696
Serena Harmon w/Germer PLLC (formerly with Tribble Ross), 713-650-1313