Keith Mallinson has 25 years telecommunications industry experience as an industry analyst, commercial consultant and testifying expert witness. His expertise includes carrier services, regulation, devices and semiconductors. Complementing his industry knowledge, he has a broad skill set including technologies, market analysis, regulation, economics and finance. He is a regular columnist with trade journals Wireless Week and FierceWireless, the Intellectual Property Finance blog and a speaker at industry events including the Mobile World Congress and CTIA trade shows. Expert witness engagements have included damages assessments, company valuations, licensing and competition issues in patent infringement and antitrust cases.
Areas of Expertise
- Class Actions
- Data Communications
- Emergency Communications & 911
- Information Technology
- Law & Legal
- Lost Profits
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MBA, London Business School
BSc Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Upper Second), London Imperial College of Science and Technology
Associate of the City and Guilds Institute
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Associate Member, Institution of Electrical Engineers (membership lapsed)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: An extensive list of my recent public speaking appearences, including all the world's leading mobile communications industry events, is included on the WiseHarbor web site: http://www.wiseharbor.com/speeches.html
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained nine times as a testifying expert. In some cases the cases were settled before I was deposed or testified in court. I have also been retained by external counsel on other occasions as a non-testifying expert.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Mobile communications operator company valuations.
Cell site tower/mast valuations.
Wireless carrier damages due to illegal denial of cell site zoning.
Analysis and opinions on competition, pricing, bundling and market developments in antitrust case on alleged tying of handset sales in wireless services contracts.
Contract breach damages assessment in mobile search and advertising market.
Damages assessment in cell site tower leasing contract breach.
Contract damages and quantum meruit damages in supply and use of patented and other intellectual property in mobile communications technology.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Ten times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: July 2014.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Four times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Five times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: More than 13 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, competition and market analysis, valuations, damages assessments. I also work extensively with external and in-house counsel on a non-testifying basis.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $600-$800.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $600-$800.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $800.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $800.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses and some other out-of-pocket expesnes, search as purchase of market research materials.
I have attorney references at many different firms in the US and Europe I am willing to provide on request.
Please email email@example.com with full contact details and information about your expert witness requirements.