Dr. Joshua Schwimmer is a Columbia-trained, double board-certified, full-time practicing nephrologist and primary care physician in New York City. He is on the medical staff at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan and is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
Dr. Schwimmer is available for expert witness consultations to both defense and plaintiff attorneys. He has provided expert review and testimony in cases involving acute kidney injury and kidney failure, hyperkalemia, hyponatremia, electrolyte disorders, hypertension, urinary tract infections, pyelonephritis, life expectancy, rhabdomyolysis, end stage renal disease, dialysis, and many other medical conditions.
An award-winning physician-teacher of medical students and doctors, Dr. Schwimmer trained at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and the Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. Dr. Schwimmer has published more than 30 scientific papers, abstracts, and book chapters; his scientific publications are cited in the medical literature and in textbooks; and his research has been presented at national and international conferences. Dr. Schwimmer is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American Society of Nephrology.
Areas of Expertise
- Family Practice/Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Nephrology (Kidney)
- Nursing Homes
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: * Nephrology Fellowship, Columbia University Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
* Internal Medicine Residency, Strong Memorial Hospital.
* M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry.
* Board Certified in Nephrology.
* Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
* New York State Medical License.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: * Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
* Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 100+.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Nephrology, hypertension (high blood pressure), kidney failure, kidney disease, hyponatremia, rhabdomyolysis, fluid overload, life expectancy, pyelonephritis, urinary tract infections, and many other medical conditions.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 23.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2006.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, Medical Records Review, Report Writing, Testifying.
References upon request.