I am a retired Lieutenant Commander of the New York City Police Department, having served for more than 33 years. During my tenure with the NYPD, I have served in the ranks of police officer, detective, Patrol Sergeant, Detective Sergeant, Lieutenant and Detective Lieutenant Commander. I have worked in the Narcotics Division as an undercover and field investigator, as a detective in the Arson/Explosion Division conducting terrorists bombing investigations, as a detective in homicide, precinct detective squad, Major Case Squad, Safe Loft and Truck Squad and Major Case Squad.
I have also performed the function of being a patrol supervisor, supervisor/commander of detectives in the Brooklyn Robbery Squad, 81 Detective Squad, Major Case Squad and Cold Case Homicide Squad. During my 33 years of service I have performed or supervised almost all police procedures and have testified on numerous occasions in state and federal court as a police expert.
Currently, I am the Deputy Chairperson and Police Studies Coordinator for the Law/Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration Department at John Jay College. During my 21 years at John Jay College, I have taught 18 different undergraduate and 5 graduate level courses in the areas of police science, criminal justice and corrections. I also serve as the college's media representative on police related matters and have been quoted on numerous occasions as a police/detective expert.
I have testified as a police procedures expert witness in U.S. Federal Court and New York State Court. I have prepared numerous affidavits as a police expert. I have also served as a consultant on numerous occasions in police liability cases.
Areas of Expertise
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Law Enforcement
- Police & Penal
- Police Procedures
- Private Investigators
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Lieutenant Commander New York City Police Department-33 years-
Master of Arts, Criminal Justice
Deputy Chairperson-Law/Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration-John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Homicide Investigators Association
Fraternal Order of Police
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I am a full time, tenured faculty member of John Jay College of Criminal Justice. I have taught over 18 different undergraduate and 5 different Graduate courses in the field of police science, corrections and criminal justice.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 50
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Police Procedure- handcuffing, high speed pursuit, use of informants, unnecessary use of force, unlawful detention, prisoner abuse, improper investigative procedures.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 100%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Twice
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 19, 2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Numerous times as a police officer and twice as a civilian expert on police practice and procedure in Eastern District Federal Court, New York and New York State Supreme Civil Court.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3 Times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 13
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert reports, testimony, consulting, investigations and case preparation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: @250 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $2,500 per day, or part of a day
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $2,500 per day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses for depositions and trials ($125.00 per hour). Preparation for depositions and trials ($250.00 per hour).
More on request