I have extensive experience in legal consulting, depositions, trial testimony (including 402 expert hearings), jury education and strategy. I have been retained by corporations, small business owners, landlords, employees and physicians. In addition, I have worked for the Attorney General, California Public Defender, City of Los Angeles and the California State Medical Board.
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Medical Records
- Personal Injury
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Postdoctoral fellow, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California. June 2006
National Institutes of Health K30 Clinical Research Fellow, 2005.
Human Participants Protection Certificate in Clinical Research, National Institutes of Health, 2005
Certificate in Clinical Investigation, UCLA General Clinical Research Center, 2004
Certificate in Principles of Clinical Pharmacology, National Institutes of Health, 2004
Resident in Internal Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles California, 2004
Certificate in Human Subjects Protection Principles, Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
Doctor of Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, 2001
Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California, 1993
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine
Diplomat American Board of Internal Medicine; Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Expert reviewer California Medical Board
Certified expert witness, State of Florida
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Liu NA, Sacks W and Geller JL, Geller Epocrates Osteoporosis Curriculum 2010; Epocrates, Inc.
Adams JS. Reply to: Increase in Bone Mass after Vitamin D Replacement: Can We Ignore Regression to the Mean? Endocr Pract. 2008;14;5
Geller JL, Adams JS. Vitamin D Therapy. Current Osteoporosis Reports 2008
Cooper OB, Geller JL and Melmed S. Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome caused by an FSH-Secreting Pituitary Adenoma. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. Feb 12, 2008
Geller JL, Hu B, Reed S, Mirocha J and Adams JS. Repair of Vitamin D Insufficiency Increases Bone Mass in Bisphosphonate-Treated Patients. Endo Prac. 2008; 14:3
Geller JL Vitamin D: The Sunshine Hormone. Food Technology, June 2007
Geller JL, Adams, JS. Proton Pump Inhibitor Therapy and Hip Fracture Risk. JAMA. 2007; 297:1429
Geller JL, Azarmindokht K, Kelly MH, et al. Clinical Vignette: Cinacalcet in the Management of Tumor-Induced Osteomalacia. J Bone Min Res. 2007; Mar 12
Geller JL The Way I see it: Healthcare Reform Begins with Patient. Medical Economics. Dec 15, 2006
Karakelides H, Geller JL, Schroeter AL, Chen H, Behn PS, Adams JA, Hewison M, Wermers RA. Vitamin D-mediated hypercalcemia in slack skin disease: further evidence for extra-renal expression of 25-hydroxyvitamin D-1α-hydroxylase in granulomatous disorders. J Bone Min Res. 2006 Sep; 1496-9
Geller JL, Azer P, Mertens, RB, Weiss LM. Recurrent and Metastatic Pigmented Adrenocrotical Carcinoma:case report and review. Endocr Pathol. 2006; 17: 297-304.
Geller JL, Braunstein GB. Dermatological Manifestations of Hypopituitarism. Clinics in Dermatology. 2006; 42:266-275.
Geller JL. Borrowing Against the Bones: The Price of Eucalcemia. Nutrition and the M.D. 2006; 32:5
Geller JL, Adams JS. Statins and Fracture: All Variables Accounted For? Archives of Internal Medicine 2006; 166:1041
Geller JL, Arteaga V, Fan X, Yu J. A Symptomatic Prolactinoma Co-existing within a Rathke’s Cleft Cyst Invading Bone: Case Report and Review. Endocrinol 2006;91-94.
Geller, JL, Mertens, RB and Weiss LM. Adrenocortical Carcinoma: Many Questions Remain Unanswered. The Endocrinologist, 2005; 15: 309-312.
Abreu MT, Kam LY, Vasiliauskas EA, Vora P, Adams JS, Yang H, Geller JL, Hu B, Lin YC, Keenan G, Price J, Landers CJ, Targan SR. Treatment with Infliximab is Associated With Increased Markers of Bone Formation in Patients With Crohn's Disease. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 2006; 40:55-63.
Geller JL, Hackner D. Prolonged Refractory Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome Complicoemboli: Case Report and Review. Annals of Hematology. 2005 Apr 7
Bhushan V, Pall V, Le T, Yen YM, Geller JL, Gupta S. Clinical Science Color Atlas. Blackwell, 2002
Geller JL, Reed, S, Mirocha J, Adams JS. Vitamin D Insufficiency and Unresponsiveness to Bisphosphonates. Cleveland Clinic Bone Innovation Summit, May 5, 2006.
JL. Geller, C. Cutler, M. H. Kelly, J. S. Adams, M. T. Collins. Cinacalcet Is Associated with Decreased Serum FGF-23 and Improved Phosphorous Homeostasis in Patients with Tumor-Induced Osteomalacia. The 27th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Nashville, Tennessee, 2005.
Wermers RA, Karakelides H, Adams JS, Chen H, Geller JL, Hewison M. Vitamin D-Mediated Hypercalcemia in Granulomatous Slack Skin Disease: Evidence for the Extra-renal 1-Hydroxylation of 25-hydroxvitamin D in Involved Skin Granulomata. Endocrine Society 87th Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2005
Geller JL, Azer P, Mertens, RB, Weiss LM. Recurrent and Metastatic Pigmented Adrenocortical Carcinoma. Endocrine Society 87th Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2005
Abreu MT, Kam LY, Vasiliauskas EA, Vora P, Adams JS, Yang H, Geller JL, et al. Treatment with Infliximab is Associated With Increased Markers of Bone Formation in Patients With Crohn's Disease. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 26th Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, 2004
Identification and Treatment of Secondary Causes of Osteoporosis. American Association of Clinical
Endocrinologists 13th Annual Meeting and Symposium October 5, 2013
Hypothyroidism and the Importance of Patient-Physician Dialogue. Abbvie, Inc. Trump Soho, April 17, 2013
Management of Autoimmune Thyroid Disease in Patients Undergoing IVF
Southern California Reproductive Center, June 13, 2011
The Conundrum of Normocalcemic Hyperparathyroidism Cedars-Sinai Thyroid Grand Rounds, March 24, 2011
The Spectrum of Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Cedars-Sinai Thyroid Disease Symposium, Mar11, 2011
The Spectrum of Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Cedars-Sinai Thyroid Disease Symposium, March 15, 2009
Osteoporosis: Not Just Your Grandmother’s Disease. Cedar's-Sinai Center for International Health & Telemedicine. January 29, 2009
Osteoporosis Myths. Tarzana Medical Center Calcium Metabolism Symposium. November 11, 2008
Common Endocrine Issues in the Hospitalized Patient. Society for Hospital Medicine April 5, 2008
Key Concepts in Bone Mineral Densitometry Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Feb 28, 2008
Exploiting the Calcium-Sensing Receptor in the Management of Hypophosphatemic Osteomalacia. Harbor UCLA Endocrine Clinical Conference, November 7, 2007
The Top 10 Vitamin D Myths. West Los Angeles VA Hospital Endocrine Grand Rounds, Sept 28, 2007
A Fast Acting Goiter. Cedars-Sinai Thyroid Cancer Center Multidisciplinary Conference June 28, 2007
Osteoporosis Myths, Legends, Rumors and Lies. Cedars-Sinai Medical Grand Rounds, June 1, 2007
Hyperparathyroidism and Beyond: Expanding the Role of Calcium-Sensing Receptor Suppression. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Endocrine Grand rounds, Feb 13, 2000
Vitamin D Dysregulation Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Internal Medicine Grand rounds, January 11, 2007.
Gonadotropin Secreting Pituitary Adenoma with Ovarian Hyperstimulation. Cedars-Sinai Pituitary Center Interdisciplinary Pituitary Case Conference, November 28, 2006.
ABIM Endocrinology Review. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, June 19, 2006.
The Association of Vitamin D Insufficiency with a Declining Response to Bisphosphonates. Cleveland Clinic Bone Innovation Summit. May 4, 2006.
Principles of Bone Densitometry. Cedars-Sinai Endocrinology Teaching Seminar, May 1, 2006.
Familial Nonmedullary Thyroid Carcinoma. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Thyroid Cancer Grand Rounds, January 26, 2006.
Metastatic Pheochromocytoma: Management. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Carcinoid and Neuroendocrine Tumor Center Interdisciplinary Conference, November 15, 2005.
Cinacalcet in the Management of FGF-23-Mediated Hypophosphatemia. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Bone and Mineral Working Group, September 26, 2005
Metastatic Pheochromocytoma: Clinical Presentation. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Carcinoid and Neuroendocrine Tumor Center Interdisciplinary Conference, July 21, 2005.
What is “Off-Label?” UCLA K30 Journal Club, June 14th, 2005.
ABIM Endocrinology Review. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, May 30, 2005.
A Case of an Invasive Prolactinoma. Cedars-Sinai Pituitary Center Interdisciplinary Pituitary Case Conference, March 29, 2005.
Prolactinoma within a Rathke’s Cleft Cyst Invading Bone. Cedars-Sinai Pituitary Center Interdisciplinary Pituitary Case Conference, February 1, 2005.
Metabolic Bone Disease. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Medicine Grand Rounds, December 21, 2004.
Effect of Oral Alendronate on Bone Mineral Density. UCLA K30 Journal Club July 16, 2004
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Never
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have extensive experience in legal consulting, depositions, trial testimony (including 402 expert hearings), jury education and strategy. I have been retained by corporations, small business owners, landlords, employees and physicians. In addition, I have worked for the Attorney General, California Public Defender, City of Los Angeles and the California State Medical Board. I have provided expert reports and/or testimony on numerous cases in diabetes (including cases related to exacerbation of pre-existing diabetes from injury, improper medication administration, hypoglycemia, diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, defending unlawful job termination/discrimination claims related to diabetes, defense of diabetes-related criminal cases and others) and across the spectrum of Endocrinology including thyroid cancer, hypopituitarism, hypothyroidism, adrenal disease, product labeling and deceptive medical claims. The majority of cases I have worked on have been settled favorably based largely on my reports and/or testimony.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 20%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 80%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 6
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, record review, expert reports, testing, jury education and strategy.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $700.00/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $700.00/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $700.00/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Trial testimony will be $7500.00 in state and $8500.00 if out of California.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel costs: (airfare, hotel, transportation, meals etc.) 100% reimbursement of all out of pocket costs
Available Upon Request