I have extensive training and experience in the topics of plastic surgery of the breast, body, face, neck, head, extremities, hands and eyes. Similar topics like scars, revision surgery, wounds, microsurgery, reconstruction, trauma, lymphedema, cancer and injectables are within the scope of my practice.
I trained at Johns Hopkins and internationally. I am a well-published author of more than 50 textbook chapters and journal articles related to the above topics. I am looking to offer my services in medical malpractice case review, consultation, written evaluation & testimony in depositions and trial for plaintiff & defense. I am an articulate subspecialty consultant with up to date knowledge and expertise of the plastic surgery literature and standards of care. My opinions and treatment strategies are supported by extensive subspecialty education, training and experience.
Areas of Expertise
- Burn Injury
- Hand Surgery
- Head & Neck Surgery
- Laser Surgery
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Trauma Surgery/Trauma Medicine
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Dr. Zelken obtained his undergraduate degree in Biology from Cornell University. He went on to pursue a degree in Medicine at Tufts University and spent two years conducting soft tissue research in New York City. The first two scientific articles he authored have been cited 140 times.
He was one of only 2 candidates selected for a combined residency in General Surgery and Plastic Surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital, then rated America’s #1 hospital for 22 years in a row. He was then selected for an equally competitive microsurgery fellowship in Taiwan under the guidance of the world’s most prolific microsurgeon.
Dr. Zelken is Board Certified in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Plastic Surgeons
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery - Candidate
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I am a Keynote speaker and luminary for Novadaq and InMode on the topic of breast reconstruction, cancer detection, and surgical technologies. I have presented at domestic and international plastic and reconstructive surgery conferences.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: N/A
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testing, imaging, diagnostic studies, surgery, site inspections.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 1000
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 2500
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses and copy fees, etc.
- Breast Augmentation in Asians
- Imaging for Cancer, Reconstructive Surgery, etc.
- Asian Rhinoplasty Technique
- Avoiding Bad Results in Asian Rhinoplasty
- Composite Nasal Implants
- Botox for Scar Optimization
- Using the Thigh for Reconstructive Surgery
- Algorithmic Approach for Using the Thigh in Reconstructive Surgery
- Using the Thigh and Groin in Reconstructive Hand Surgery
- Using the Thigh for Reconstruction of the Airway
- A Trick for Improving Outcomes in Pedicled Thigh Reconstruction of the Knee
- Forearm Flaps for Reconstruction of the Nose
- Using the Sole of the Foot to Reconstruct the Ball of the Foot
- A Specialized Design for Phalloplasty in Female to Male Surgery
- How Vascularized Flaps Work in Lymphedema Surgery
- Poland Syndrome
- Facial Reconstruction - Surgical Approaches
Matthew Wegner (949) 500-5195
Todd Green (714) 420-9085