Dr. John Murphy is founder and president of REA, an occupational, environmental and public health consultancy with offices in Boston, Toronto, Ottawa and the Caribbean. He has 34 years career experience involving more than 16,000 projects for 3,000+ organizations. He is also an Adjunct Professor in Occupational & Environmental Health at the University of Toronto School of Public Health and Instructor in Military Preventive Medicine.
Areas of Expertise
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Hazardous Materials
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Lead Poisoning
- Occupational Medicine
- Safety Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health, Master of Health Science (Occupational & Environmental Health), Master of Business Administration, Bachelor of Science, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Registered Occupational Hygienist, Licensed Asbestos Operations Supervisor, Licensed Pesticide Applicator, Certificate in Carbon Finance
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Industrial Hygiene Association, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, American Board of Industrial Hygiene, Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Professor of Occupational & Environmental Health, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto. Instructor - Preventive Medicine Training Program, Canadian Armed Forces. Thousands of hours of instruction to technical, managerial and professional audiences in a wide range of occupational, environmental and public health and safety subjects.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 36+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Legionella and Legionnaire’s disease. Mold impacts on property and health. Asbestos impacts on property and health. Carbon monoxide exposure injuries. Respiratory illnesses relating to occupational chemical exposures. Chemical exposures in cases of alleged environmental multifactor illness. Product liability tort. Professional standards and negligence in occupational and environmental health. Defence of occupational health and safety statutory prosecutions.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately half.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately. half.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 6
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 4
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 6
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25+
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Case assessment, forensic investigation, peer review, testing, opinions, technical reports, field evaluations, etc.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel, office disbursements, specialty equipment items, laboratory charges, etc.
Available Upon Request