John Horst, CISSP®-ISSAP®
San Diego, CA 92126
John Horst, CISSP®-ISSAP®, is the Chief Technology Officer for Xanesti Technology Services, LLC.
John has provided expert information technology consulting across several lines of business such as pharmaceutical development, medical billing, general liability insurance, clinical laboratory systems, mortgage financing, and automotive aftermarket products.
John has provided cybersecurity engineering, software development, installation and training, and troubleshooting for 11 years in support of multiple U.S. Navy programs of record, including programs operating at both unclassified and secret levels.
John maintains an active national security clearance at the TOP SECRET level.
John has taught information technology courses for the University of Phoenix (San Diego and Online campuses) and Coleman University (San Diego) where John pioneered the development of computer game software development instruction, now a core part of the Coleman curriculum.
John has also taught philosophy courses for the University of Phoenix, including critical thinking. He incorporates Irving Copi's chapter on Logic and the Law in his lectures and is deeply familiar with the essential distinction between presenting/establishing facts and arguing the law.
The CISSP®-ISSAP® is a globally recognized certification for information technology and cybersecurity. The CISSP® certifies an expert-level competency across the entire spectrum of information technology, importantly including legal and regulatory compliance aspects. The ISSAP® certification requires prior award of the CISSP®, and indicates expert-level competence in cybersecurity as pertains to software architectures and coding.
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and Information Systems Software Architecture Professional (ISSAP), both certifications from (ISC)2.
Active U.S. National Security Clearance - SECRET
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Former Treasurer of the San Diego Chapter of ISC2
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty in Information Technology, Philosophy, and Religion. University of Phoenix, San Diego Campus (4/2004 – 12/2009)
Adjunct Faculty in Information Technology, Coleman University. 2/2005 – 10/2005)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Twice. Once in a family court matter pertaining to text messaging, and currently with a public interest law firm supporting potential litigation relating to obscene material available to minors on the Internet.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Text messaging, data classifiers, means by which websites can prevent minors from obtaining materials "obscene as to a minor."
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 100% at this point.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 0% at this point.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: One - the family court case.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: One. Previously supported other expert witness in Telecommunications Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) litigation.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Computer forensic examinations; Authentication of "Writings" (emails, SMS, etc.);
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350/hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $350/hr.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: In So. Cal: $125/hr. + IRS mileage.
Outside So. Cal.: Airfare + Lodging + Car Rental + US Govt (GSA) Per Diem (Meals & Incidental Expenses).
Charles LiMandri, Esq. (858) 759-9948
David Aveni, Esq. (619) 881-3307