Jim Leatzow has 43 years of hands on P & C industry experience as a nationally licensed (all 50 states), agency owner for 30 years, specializing in underwriting, claims, policy issuance, coverages, claims-made policies & construction insurance. As an insurance expert and internationally credentialed arbitrator since 2005 when he sold his national agency, Jim has been retained over 500+ times, deposed over 80+ times, testified at trial 20 times and been retained as an arbitrator 47 times. He has testified in 10 of the 11 federal districts. As a bad faith expert, he, as a non-attorney industry person, was the hands-on individual settling claims in court. He does not charge for travel time coast to coast. Please review his profile and CV describing extensive industry experience that includes performing nationally as an agency owner, underwriter, claims adjuster/handler, MGA (managing general agent), TPA (third party claims administrator), insurance company owner/founder and as an internationally credentialed arbitrator.
* 43 years of insurance industry experience
* 30 years as a national, property/casualty insurance agency owner
* 27 years as a national, property/casualty Managing General Agent (MGA)
* 21 years as a national, Third Party Administrator (TPA) claims handler
* 24 years as an insurance company founder/owner
* Certified insurance & reinsurance arbitrator (U.S. / U.K. / E.U. / Bermuda)
* Licensed nation-wide for 25 years until 2005 (agency sold)
* Recognized for the quality of his Rule 26 Reports on complex cases
* History of representing plaintiff & defense equally
* 500+ retentions since 2005
* 80+ depositions since 2005
* Testified/qualified in state & federal courts nationally
* Testified in 10 of the 11 federal districts
* No charge for travel time "coast to coast"
Leatzow's specialties include: Agent - Broker - MGA - TPA standard of care / Underwriting / Nationally qualified bad faith expert in state & federal courts / Claims handling standard of care / Agent - Broker custom & practice / Construction insurance / Coverage issues / Professional Liability / E&O / D&O / Surety / Claims-made coverage & claim trigger / Surplus Lines - E&S issues / Fronting / "Program" & Off-Shore placements
Areas of Expertise
- Auto Insurance
- Aviation Insurance
- Bad Faith
- Construction Insurance
- Fire Insurance
- Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Insurance Fraud
- Liability Insurance
- Marine Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Risk Management
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Insurance Arbitrator: U.S. / U.K. / E.U. / Bermuda
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (Big-I) / ARIAS
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Insurance agent/broker/MGA/wholesaler standard of care
TPA claims handling standard of care;
Agent-Broker contract agreements, duties & obligations
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 500+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Agent / Broker / MGA - Underwriting / TPA - Claims Handling / Standards of Care; Bad Faith; Coverage issues / Case Assessment for counsel
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 55%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 45%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 8/0+ depositions
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 22, 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20 (state & federal courts) Testified in 10 of 11 federal districts
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 22
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 13 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, case assessment, Rule 26 reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Depends on the consultation. Short duration (telephone contact) typically free to discuss their case merits, often up to an hour at no charge.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: I maintain a uniform rate for all retentions guaranteed for the life of the project.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: The same rate for all work on a file.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: The same rate for all work on a file.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: No charge for travel time (portal to portal) coast to coast.
References upon request.