Clinically active full-time anesthesiologist with board certified in anesthesiology [26 years] and pain management [20 years]. Office based, comprehensive interventional pain blocks and procedures done with fluoroscopy under local anesthesia, oral sedation upon request.
Former Associate Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology and Founding Director, Pain Center for 15 years.
Medical malpractice expert, defense and plaintiff, for 18 years with less than 20% of professional income from this source.
Pain management expert for state and local governments.
Consultant for Blue Shield / Highmark of PA for 12 years
Areas of Expertise
- Pain Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD: Drexel University [Hahnemann Medical College] 1980
Boards: American Board of Anesthesiology 1987
American Academy of Pain Management 1991 and 2007
Pennsylvania: MD 025443-E 07/24/81 active
Delaware: C1-0008831 09/02/08 active
New York: 273482 1/10/14 05/31/17 active
Maryland: D0062392 10/25/04 exp'd 09/30/10
West Virginia: 22131 11/14/05 exp'd 06/30/10
New Mexico: MD2004-0112 03/12/04 exp'd 06/30/06
Ohio: 35-05-8767 09/01/89 exp'd 09/30/96
Michigan: 4301059476 01/31/92 exp'd 01/31/93
Georgia: 036105 04/01/92 exp'd 12/31/93
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Interventional Pain Practitioners
International Spine Intervention Society
American Academy of Pain Management
Society of Pain Practice Management
American Society of Anesthesiology
International Anesthesia Research Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: “Proving Pain,” October 13, 2008, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Hilton Garden Inn, Philadelphia PA
“Pain Management Techniques and Medical Aspects of Pain Management,” October 20, 2006, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Four Seasons Hotel, Philadelphia PA
“Current Concepts in Pain Management,” September 9, 1998, combined Grand Rounds for the Departments of Family Practice and Internal Medicine, Montgomery Hospital, Norristown PA
The Fourth Annual Henry Ruth Lecture - The Theory and Practice of
Obstetrical Anesthesia, May 10, 1986, “Anesthesia for the High Risk
Parturient,” sponsored by the Department of Anesthesiology at Hahnemann University, Atlantic City, NJ
Anesthetic Management of the Trauma Patient, November 21, 1987,
Moderator, sponsored by the Department of Anesthesiology at Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA
1986: Myocardial Preservation During Cardiopulmonary Bypass
Obstetrical Anesthesia and Analgesia
Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump
Anesthetic Intravenous Agents
Obstetrical Anesthesia Physiology
1987: Anesthesia for Thoracic Aneurysm
Perioperative Recognition and Treatment of Myocardial
Ischemia During Anesthesia for Noncardiac Surgery
Anesthetic Management of the Trauma Patient
Diagnosis of Myocardial Ischemia During Anesthesia
1988: Treatment of Myocardial Ischemia in the Anesthetized Patient
Anesthesia for the Patient with Active Myocardial Disease
Sacred Heart Hospital / Northeastern Hospital / Montgomery Hospital –
Department of Anesthesiology / Department of Nursing:
1990 to Postoperative Pain Management:
present: Epidural and Intrathecal Narcotics
Pain Management - Epidural Narcotics
Labor Analgesia for Parturient
Technical Aspects of Spinal Anesthesia
Frank J. Tornetta School of Nurse Anesthesia / Department of Anesthesiology:
1994 - 2008: Intra-operative Monitoring of the Surgical Patient
The Anesthesia Record – Charting & Documentation
Endotracheal Intubation – Pitfalls & Practical Applications
Intra-Operative Fluid Balance and Volume Resuscitation
Perioperative Pain Management
Cardiovascular Physiology – Clinical Applications
Awareness under Anesthesia
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: approximately 200
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: all aspects of interventional pain management as well as narcotic prescriptions and overdoses
all aspects of general and regional anesthesia
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: currently 50% - in past 75% plaintiff;
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: currently 50% - in past 25% defense,
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: less 10% of all cases involve depositions thus approximately 20
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: based on current case load, usually 2 - 3 times a year
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: every time - I have never been disqualified as an expert
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5% or less of cases go to trial thus approximately 10 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 18 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: all: consulting, testing, IME's, reports, depositions and court testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: initial retainer $2000 includes 1st 4 hours - hourly thereafter $425
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $3600 [1 - 4 hrs]; $4800 full day - all out of town depositions are considered full day
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $6400 full day local
$7600 out of town plus all travel expenses
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: all travel expenses are additionally fully recompensed or paid directly by retaining legal firm. travel time is billed at half hourly rate
Ellis I. Kahn
Kahn Law Firm
Charleston SC 29417
Morgan Melhuish Abrutyn
Wicker Smith OHara
John Iweanoge II
Iweanoge Law Firm