Howard began his security career in 1979 and has accumulated a diverse and impressive background as he has become one of the nations best known security experts. He is based in Massachusetts but available nationally.
He has appeared as a Security Expert in over 300 national and regional publications such as the Wall Street journal and Boston Globe and on-air media such as National Network News, the Discovery Channel,and talk shows such as Montel and Geraldo.
He has been a full time consultant since 1992 and holds the coveted designation as a “Certified Protection Professional” (CPP), widely recognized as the pinnacle certification in the security industry.
Typical clients include corporate, movie theaters, retail, residential, education, hospitality and other firms wishing to improve or analyze their security program and protection. Howard limits his litigation services to approximately 20% of his overall work. As a result, he is a true expert whose opinions will not only be influential in a court of law, but to opposing council pre trial as well. This expertise is also used to evaluate and make recommendations to clients to maximize their opportunity to successfully resolve their case. Many "Security Experts" used in litigation have little substantial, recent or practical experience, this is not the case with Howard.
Specialties include Premise Liability and Security Negligence with Security System Design (CCTV, Access Control, Alarms, Lighting), Risk and Vulnerability, Security Operations, Security Officer/Firm Negligence, Crime Prevention, Assaults and Attacks, Policy and Procedures, Movie Theaters, Parking Lots, schools/Education, Residential, Retail/Shoplifting and Hospitality (such as bars and restaurants).
Initial case evaluation over the phone is provided without charge. Services are provided for both Plaintiffs and Defendants.
Howard’s extensive background and education are available upon request.
Email: Howard@expertsecurity.com, Phone 508-454-4494
- Apartment/Condominium Security
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Crime Scene Analysis
- Crowd Control
- Hospital Security
- Hotel Security
- Negligent Hiring
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Police Procedures
- Premises Liability
- Private Investigators
- Restaurant Security
- Retail Security
- School Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Special Event Security
- Violent Crimes
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: C.P.P. (Certified Protection Professional), American Society for Industrial Security
Bachelor of Science, Criminal Justice, Northeastern University, Boston MA
Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Academy for Summer Police Officers
Graduate, Mass. Reserve & Intermittent Police Academy
Certified Food Defense Security Coordinator
Licensed Private Investigator Massachusetts and Nevada
Management of Aggressive behavior Certification
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Certified Protection Professional (CPP) American Society for Industrial Security
Member, American Society for Industrial Security, Boston Chapter (ASIS)
Member American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Member Council of Educational Facilities Planners International (CEFPI)
Member Construction Specifiers Institute (CSI)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: , International Security Conference, National Electrical Contractors Association
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Have consulted in 25 cases, disclosed as an expert in 15.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Security, Movie theater and entertainment security, night club bar security, apartment security, parking lot security, retail security, forseeability
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Three
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Less than one year
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 4
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 12
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, case evaluation, assessments, crime analysis, case deficiencies, opposition case planning and strategy, reports, inspections.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $150 for in office work. Page rate for material review. $200 per hour for out of office meetings, site visits, Depositions and testimony. 4-8 hour minimum and travel fees also apply. Retainer is necessary.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150 or rate per page of all materials necessary to render accurate opinion.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Daily rate of $1600
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Daily rate of $1600
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Customary expenses and fees charged. Travel expenses charged.
References upon request.