Dr. Cohen has over 30 years experience in the architecture and implementation of complex software applications, ranging from bioinformatics (genomics and proteomics) to chip design tools, from banking systems for foreign exchange traders to digital cartography, from image processing and analysis systems to DARPA-funded cutting edge research projects in optical networking and in ocean acoustic signal processing. His strengths are in algorithms, relational database and graphical user interface.
He has been providing expert witness services in software intellectual property matters (patents, trade secrets, copyrights, DCMA, software business practices) since 1997, both for the Plaintiff and the Defendant. He writes fluently and communicates complex concepts clearly to both technical and lay audiences.
Areas of Expertise
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Software Engineering
- Trade Secret
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D., Theoretical Physics, Brandeis University;
M.A., Theoretical Physics, Brandeis University;
B.S., Physics, City College of New York;
Graduate classes in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Stanford University Honors Co-op Program
Certified in the use of the CodeSuite toolset by S.A.F.E. Corporation
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA);
Professional and Technical Consultants' Association (PATCA);
Institute of Electrical and Elecronic Engineers (IEEE) -- Life Senior Member;
American Physical Society (APS);
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS);
IEEE Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have taught Physics and Astronomy classes at Community Colleges and Universities. I have delivered technical papers at conferences.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 43
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Source code analysis, system analysis, standards of practice.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 25/46 = 54%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 21/46 = 46%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 9
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: February 2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Four
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Three
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, analysis, reports, declarations, depositions, testimony
Application software architecture and implementation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All out-of-pocket expenses, travel time
References will be provided upon request.