Dr. Herschel Lessin has been a full-time practicing Pediatrician since 1982 and has served as an expert witness in Pediatric malpractice litigation since 1987, working for both plaintiff and defense. Trained at Stanford and Yale, Dr. Lessin has experience in case review as well as both deposition and trial testimony. He a founding member and Vice President of one of the larger single specialty Pediatric practices in the United States, The Children's Medical Group, PLLC, with 9 offices and 24 practitioners in NY's Hudson Vally (www.childrensmedgroup.com). He is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at New York Medical College. His daily practice includes children from birth through college age encompassing both outpatient and hospital care.
Dr. Lessin has been active on a national policy level, having been co-lead author on several national American Academy of Pediatrics policy statements statements and technical reports, as well as being a member of the authoring committee on several others. He has reviewed a majority of AAP policy statements from the perspective of a practicing community Pediatrician and makes comments for possible revision as needed.
Dr Lessin provides honest opinions based solely on the facts of the case materials reviewed and without regard to the position of retaining counsel. He is experienced in case review and will appear as a testifying expert at both deposition and trial. He is willing to travel if required.
Dr. Lessin has had broad media experience, hosting medical spots on radio, TV, and online.. In addition, he has authored a biweekly column for a regional newspaper on parenting and general pediatrics. He has appeared on regional radio providing advice, both prerecorded and live call in, concerning Pediatric care.
In addition to his Pediatric expertise, Dr. Lessin has extensive experience and involvement in all aspects of Managed Care. He was a founder, and for 12 years, was Chairman of a 2000 physician IPA that contracted with Managed Care organizations and covered over 150,000 lives. He is a Certified Managed Care Executive through America's Health Insurance Plans, the Managed care trade organization. He currently serves on the Boards of Directors of two not for profit health insurance company with more than 650,000 covered lives.
- Managed Care & HMOs
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: 1975 BS Summa Cum Laude Union College, Schenectady, New York.
1979 MD Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California
1979-1982 Internship and Residency in Pediatrics, Yale-New Haven Hospital
1982 NYS Medical License
1984 Certified American Board of Pediatrics
1996 Certified Managed Care Executive, American Association of Health Plans, Executive Leadership Program
2001 Re-certifed (Voluntary) American Board of Pediatrics
2008 Re-certifed (Voluntary) American Board of Pediatrics
2010-Meets requirements for Maintenance of Certification, American Board of Pediatrics
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York.
Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
Vice President, The Children's Medical Group, PLLC
Member, Medical Society of the State of New York
Member, Dutchess County Medical Society
Member, Taconic Independent Practice Association
Member, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Practice Management Online, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, Section of Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, Executive Committee, Section of Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, Section of Pediatric Dermatology, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, Society of Clinical Research Associates
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 2014 Invited Faculty, American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and
Exhibition, Orlando, FL, Topics include David vs. Goliath, What’s a Pediatrician
to do? and “The Business of Immunization: Vaccinating Chidren without Bankrupting Your
Practice”, October 11-14, 2014, San Diego California.
2014 “Medical Malpractice: A Practicing Pediatrician’s Eye View”, National Webinar
American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Administration and Practice Management,
February 20, 2014.
2013 Invited Faculty, American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and
Exhibition, Orlando, FL, Topics include the role of EMR in Medical
Malpractice, Following Guidelines and Coding in Pediatric Chronic Diseases, and
Practice Aggregation Models, October 25-29 2013.
2013 Invited Faculty, Juris Education Resource Network meeting, Legal Nurse Consultant conference,”Selecting and Preparing Your Expert Witness: Pediatric Consdiderations”, Raleigh, North Carolina, October 18 2013.
2012- Invited Speaker, AAP national meeting, practice management topics, medical
2012- Invited Speaker, Texas Pediatric Society statewide meeting, practice
management and liability topics
2012- Invited Speaker AAP section on Rheumatology, Coding and Billing
2011 - Invited Speaker National AAP meeting,Managing time consuming problems,
Working with Nurse Practitioners, Practice management
2010 - Invited speaker Arizona AAP meeting, Practice Management and Vaccines
2010 - Visiting lecturer, Republic of Vietnam, Hospitals in Hanoi, Hue and Danang,
asthma and allergy diagnosis and treatment.
2010 - Speaker at National AAP meeting - Practice Management and vaccines
2009 - Speaker at National AAP meeting and National "Future of Pediatrics" Meeting
2007 - Speaker at National AAP meeting and National "Future of Pediatrics" Meeting
2005-06 "Keys to Survival" Presented to several Pediatric Grand Rounds and Speaking Programs for Physicians in the region. Sponsored by Mead Johnson Nutritionals.
2005 "Win-Win Collaboration in Pediatrics" Presented with Joseph Heavey and Adil Ameer at the HealthCare Strategists program on Hospital Physician Relations October 12, 2005 in Phoenix, Arizona.
2005 "Strength in Numbers: Thriving Pediatric Practices Share Their Experience and Tips" Presented with Dr. Charles Scott at the American Academy of Pediatrics SuperCME2005 program, April 14, 2005, Orlando Florida.
2005 "Omigod, I'm Being Sued!! Practical Tips on How to Reduce Your Risk and How to Respond If and When It Happens to You" Presented at the American Academy of Pediatrics SuperCME2005 program, April 14, 2005, Orlando Florida.
2004 ìImplementing ADHD Practice Guidelines: A Practical System for the Busy Pediatric Officeí. Presented to the Section on Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference,October 9. 2004.
2004 ìEmergency Treatment of Asthma in Childrenî, presented to the Dept. of Emergency Medicine, Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Poughkeepsie, NY June 17, 2004.
2003 ìHot Topics in Pediatricsî Panel discussion moderator. Presented to the Section on Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics,National Conference, November 1, 2003.
2003- American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference- "Implementing Asthma Guidelines: A Practical System for the Busy Pediatric Office"
2003- Sponsored Speaker on implementing ADHD Guidelines in an office setting
2002-2003 Sponsored Speaker on Implementing Asthma Guidelines in an office setting.
1998-2000 St. Francis Hospital Family Practice Residency Program. Attending Pediatrician. Taught residents in both office and hospital settings. Gave Pediatric education lectures on a variety of topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 330
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: General Pediatrics, Managed Care
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 70%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 30%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 33
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 15
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 28
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Case Review
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 600 per hour with a 4 hour minimum portal to portal
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 6000 per day or any part thereof
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: $2500 Initial retainer for review
Other expenses reimbursed at actual
Available Upon Request