Mr. Applegate is an independent registered consulting arborist, certified arborist, certified tree risk assessor, and CEO of Arborgate Consulting, Inc. He has been in the horticulture industry since 1963, providing professional arboricultural consulting since 1984 within both private and public sectors. His expertise includes forensic consulting and testimony, appraisal, tree preservation, diagnosis of tree and palm health problems, construction impact mitigation, hazard and failure analysis, root damage studies, decay and loss of strength analysis, pruning programs, species selection, and tree health monitoring.
- Failure Analysis
- Trees Appraisal
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Registered Consulting Arborist #365
Certified Arborist #WC-0180
Certified Tree Risk Assessor #PNC-444
Certified Nurseryman #251 (expired)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA), Registered Member
American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), Full Member
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), Regular Member
International Palm Society (IPS), Member
California Tree Failure Report Program, UC Davis, Participant
Street Tree Seminar (STS), Member
California Oak Foundation, Member
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: November 1980 - American Institue of Landscape Archtecture annual meeting –
July 21, 1982 - Calif Parks & Recreation Society Annual Meeting –
High Temperature Limb Drop
January 14, 1987 – Joint meeting of WCISA and Street Tree Seminar –
“Nursery Field Grown versus Container Grown Trees”
June 14, 1991 – CLCA and Calif Parks & Recreation Society –
“Trees-Identifying Risks & Limiting Liability”
October 14, 1991 - WCISA annual meeting –
“Palm Tree Selection and Care”
May 14, 1992 – WCISA annual meeting preconference workshop –
June 22, 1993 – Orange County Chapter is CLCA monthly meeting –
February 12,1994 – Inland Chapter of CLCA monthly meeting –
“Tree Pruning Basics”
March 28, 1996 – International Right of Way Association Valuation Seminar –
“Tree & Landscape Appraisal”
January 13, 2005 California Tree Failure Report Program at Filoli Center –
“Failure of Blue Gums”
May 14, 2005 - California Preservation Foundation –
“Preserving Historic Plant Materials”
May 4, 2006 - California Tree Failure Report Program, Descanso Gardens –
“Failure of Caryota Palms”
April 19, 2007 California Tree Failure Report Program, Descanso Gardens
“Assorted Palm and Tree Failures
May 9, 2009 Arborist Workshop for Landscape Architects, UCLA Extension
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: About 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Tree and landscape valuation and appraisal
Root damage investigation, root identification
Tree maintenance and pruning standards
Appropriate plant selection
Trees blocking views
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: About 47%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: About 53%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 49
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Nov 19, 2010
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Always
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: About 33
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 28
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testing, reports, site inspection, appraisal, loss of strength calculations, species evaluation, tree hazard analysis and testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $240
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $240
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $380
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $380
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All expenses are cost plus 10%
Mileage at .45/mile
Air fare paid in advance
References upon request.