Glen D. Skoler, Ph.D. is a clinical and forensic psychologist with over 30 years of experience in court evaluations and testimony. Dr. Skoler is licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. Federal and state cases are accepted from across the nation, particularly in the tri-state areas of PA-NJ-NY and DC-MD-VA, including the Washington DC Beltway jurisdictions.
Expert testimony, reports, evaluations, consultations and psychological testing are provided in criminal, juvenile, domestic relations, civil suit, immigration, employment and military cases. Dr. Skoler also conducts professional and ethical critiques and assessments of the work of other mental health professionals. His website includes an "Attorneys' Blog" on the uses and abuses of psychiatric and psychological evidence and testimony.
Criminal law evaluations include competency, criminal insanity/responsibility, malingering, assessment of abuse allegations, dangerousness, sentencing, false confessions, waiver of Miranda rights, juvenile court evaluations and transfer/certification hearings to try juveniles as adults.
Civil litigation evaluations include assessments of post-traumatic stress (PTSD), emotional harm, employment discrimination and harassment, allegations of police/correctional abuse, appeals of law enforcement and intelligence screening determinations, and other matters.
Domestic relations evaluations include custody, visitation, interstate and international child abduction and Hague cases, parental alienation, assessing allegations of abuse, child abuse and molestation, parental fitness, termination of parental rights and critiques of previously rendered custody and visitation evaluations.
Additional specialized areas of expertise include political, celebrity and relationship related stalking; sexual harassment and discrimination; false confessions and the wavier of Miranda rights; post-traumatic stress evaluations and testing; Hague and non-Hague child abduction cases; assessing for parental alienation and distinguishing true from false allegations of abuse. Dr. Skoler also conducts immigration evaluations involving exceptions for hardship, asylum/persecution, and victims-witnesses of domestic or other criminal violence.
Dr. Skoler has been qualified as an expert witness in clinical and forensic psychology in several state courts and in Federal U.S. District, military, and immigration courts.
Dr. Skoler has presented to or consulted with the American Bar Association, the Federal Judicial Center, the U.S. Secret Service, CIA and NSA psychology staff, the Office of the U.S. Senate Chaplain and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. He also served as an expert panel member, consultant, editor and contributing author for the American Bar Association's National Benchbook for Judges on Psychiatric and Psychological Evidence and Testimony.
He has written in, been interviewed on or been cited by: The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, The Philadelphia Inquirer, National Public Radio, CBS 48 Hours and NBC and Fox news affiliates.
Areas of psychological testing, described on Dr. Skoler's website, include personality, psycho-diagnostic, risk assessment, malingering, PTSD and trauma, psycho-educational, neuropsychological, memory, ADD, LD, GT, IQ testing; and other types of clinical psychology and forensic psychology testing.
Dr. Skoler's clinical psychology practice also provides individual psychotherapy and treatment, couples counseling and psychological testing in the surrounding Pennsylvania and New Jersey communities. Dr. Skoler treats, assesses and tests adults, teens, children and couples.
Further information, including a full expert witness resume; professional training and experience; and publications are available at Dr. Skoler's website: www.ClinicalandForensicPsychology.com.
- Child Custody
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Forensic Psychology
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Competency to Stand Trial
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Testamentary Capacity
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D. in clinical psychology from a law-psychology training program. APA approved clinical psychology training program. Licensed psychologist in PA, NJ, MD, DC & VA. Licensed psychologist for over 30 years.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member in good standing of the American Psychological Association.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Please see professional resume posted on Dr. Skoler's website: ClinicalandForensicPsychology.com. And please see introductory paragraphs for Dr. Skoler on this JurisPro Expert Witness Directory. Speaking, training and professional presentations have included the American Bar Association, CIA and NSA psychology staff, the Federal Judicial Center, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Dr. Skoler also served an expert panel member, contracted consultant and contributing author of the American Bar Association's National Benchbook for Judges on Psychiatric and Psychological Evidence and Testimony.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No. Licensed psychologist in good standing in the states of PA, NJ, MD, VA & DC. Dr. Skoler has never been subject to a psychology board disciplinary hearing or action in over 30 years of licensed practice.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 30 years licensed experience, approximately over 100 times, and additional times as a staff court psychologist.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Please see introductory paragraphs for JurisPro Expert Witness Directory. A wide range of clinical and forensic psychology cases including criminal, civil litigation, civil rights, discrimination, family law, juvenile, immigration and other matters.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Difficult to estimate, depending on whether civil, criminal or family law cases. Dr. Skoler states an ethical policy on his website that he will provide expert work equally for plaintiffs, defendants, respondents, defense attorneys, prosecuting attorneys, etc.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: However, per the above, in the experience of Dr. Skoler and other highly experienced and highly ethical forensic psychologists and psychiatrists who insist on ethical fairness and balance, often attorney offices for defendants and prosecutors will have favored experts. Dr. Skoler has contacted, for example, prosecutor's offices and is open to doing such work, but tends to be contacted by defense attorneys.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Very rarely, perhaps once or twice in the last seven years, if that, to the best of memory. Generally, Dr. Skoler, as a highly ethical and professional clinical and forensic psychologist, writes thorough, often long, expert reports, which sometimes facilitates case settlement, and obviates the need to develop further information in deposition.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: As indicated above, to the best of memory, so rarely I can't recall. Perhaps one time in the last 7 years, if that.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: At least 50-100 times to testify as an expert qualified in clinical and forensic psychology. Please note that thorough expert reports may often help to facilitate a plea bargain or case settlement. That is, I have been retained in many cases, yet not all criminal, civil, juvenile, immigration or domestic relations cases ultimately result in a full adversarial trial process.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I have not yet had a case in which I testified before an arbitrator; I typically testify before the trier of fact, whether judges or juries, in many types of psycho-legal cases.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I have provided court evaluations and testimony, for over 30 years. However, for certain periods I have been employed, earlier in my career, in other positions involving clinical and forensic psychology, such as a correctional chief psychologist and as a court psychologist, and with a group practice.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Please see the introductory paragraphs for the JurisPro Expert Witness Directory listing. As a clinical and forensic psychologist I provide psychological, personality, trauma, psycho-educational, malingering, risk assessment, neuropsychological and other testing. I also provide thorough written expert witness evaluation reports and assessments, as well as testimony and consultation to attorneys. Services also include ethical and professional critiques of other expert reports and testimony in criminal, civil, domestic relations and other matters.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: There is no charge for initial attorney phone consultations. However, only if Dr. Skoler is ultimately retained, he may charge up to two hours for preliminary phone calls, e-mails, consulting and the finalization of the retainer agreement.
The standard hourly rate is $270 per 60-minute hour. However, in some cases, reduced fees are considered due to either need and circumstances, or, if a significant number of professional hours are retained in legal cases which become financially burdensome to clients.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: As noted above, all services, communications, e-mails, forensic reports, testimony etc. are provided at a single rate of $270 per 60-minute hour.
Dr. Skoler has a highly ethical retainer services agreement template to be provided on request.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: If the deposing party will not honor the retainer terms by which Dr. Skoler became involved in a case (to include for example, communications, testimony preparation, travel, etc.) deposition charges may be higher such as $300 or $350 an hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: As noted above, unlike some other experts, I do not double charge or surcharge for court related work. Testimony is usually at the stated hourly rate; testimony preparation time, travel and waiting at court are also charged. Court testimony fees also include time communicating with counsel, and reviewing the case prior to the trial, hearing or deposition testimony. (See Dr. Skoler's standard hourly retainer template provided on request.)
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Again, please see Dr. Skoler's hourly retainer fee agreement provided on request and posted on this site and on his website. Depending on the case, cases may be retained at an hourly rate or for a "flat fee" at Dr. Skoler's discretion, to include, for example, psychological interviewing and testing, review of documents, a written expert witness report, calls and e-mails, and testimony if necessary. Travel time for non-local travel is usually billed at 50% of the hourly rate, as are travel costs for a significant distance. Travel, lodging and administration costs are also specified in the mutually agreed retainer and services agreement provided to attorneys.
The JurisPro Expert Witness Directory requests contact information for at least 2 attorney references. However, twice over the last 7 years, in highly adversarial forensic cases, it has been inaccurately suggested that by Dr. Skoler simply filling out this JurisPro directory field, he may have some kind of conflict of interest or referral relationship with a listed attorney reference who subsequently re-retains him. Therefore, Dr. Skoler will provide attorney references upon request at Phone: 240-605-2988, or DrGlenSkoler@gmail.com, or ClinicalandForensicPsychology.com