Giora Tarnopolsky, D.Sc., a physicist, has a sharp eye for technology, science, and math, including HDD, CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, tape, data storage systems, metrology, servo, industrial processes, automotive sensors, trade secrets, and IP portfolios. He communicates technology accurately, using everyday language, and is fluent in four languages.
Giora has been a hands-on engineer, an industrial research manager, an academic researcher, and a testifying expert witness. He addresses technical, IP, and cross-cultural endeavors effectively and efficiently.
Giora has carried out due diligence, and has been an expert witness in hard disk drives, tape recording, and optical recording, and has consulted on data storage systems and on automotive sensors. Dr. Tarnopolsky has an extensive publications’ and lectures’ record in data storage topics and in fundamental physics. Most of his practice are repeat customers.
At corporations, he has been a VP of Technology and IP, an Executive Director of Research, and a hands-on technologist. As a consultant and expert witness, he has worked on matters including servo, optical disk products, recording substrate properties, magnetic recording media and magnetic recording head materials issues, head disk interface, tape, hard disk, data organization in the storage device, data storage systems, and statistical inferences from experimental data.
He has authored numerous expert witness statements, including hands-on experimental work and modeling. Dr. Tarnopolsky has been deposed on trade secrets and patent litigation in US state and federal courts, and at US ITC investigations. He has testified at trial at the intellectual property court, Bangkok, Thailand. He has worked in the US, the UK, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia, and Thailand, and he has managed office actions at worldwide jurisdictions.
Dr. Tarnopolsky has assessed and adjudicated trade secrets and IP in merger and acquisitions, acting as a neutral party. He has created trust and cooperation amongst the merging parties. He has also been retained by VC firms to assess value of startup technology.
Areas of Expertise
- Electrical Engineering
- Intellectual Property
- International Business
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Doctor of Science, (D.Sc.), Experimental Physics
B.Sc., Physics and Mathematics.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Senior Member.
• American Physical Society (APS).
• IEEE Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley (IEEE-CNSV).
• Chairman (’98-’99), Program Chairman (’97-’98), and Secretary (’96-’97), Silicon Valley Chapter, IEEE Magnetics Society.
• Publications Chair, The Magnetic Recording Conference TMRC 2013, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan.
• Publications Chair, The Magnetic Recording Conference TMRC 2012, Carnegie Mellon University, San Jose, CA, USA.
• Co-Editor in Chief, International Conference on Magnetism, Nagoya, Japan, 2005.
• Member, IEEE Reynold B. Johnson Storage Systems Award Committee (2002 – 2005).
• Program Chairman, The Magnetic Recording Conference (TMRC) 2001, Recording Heads, University of Minnesota, August 2001.
• Publications Chair, The Magnetic Recording Conference TMRC 1994, UC San Diego, California, USA.
• Publications Chair, The Magnetic Recording Conference TMRC 1993, University of Minnesota, MN, USA.
• Publications Chair, The Magnetic Recording Conference TMRC 1992, Santa Clara University, CA, USA.
• Past Contributing Editor, Magnetics Business and Technology Magazine.
• Past member, Editorial Board, IEEE Magnetics Letters.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: • The State of the Art: Advanced Technology at TMRC 2013, IEEE Magnetic Society, San Jose, CA.
• Global Network Oriented Information Electronics Conference, Sendai, Japan, 2007. Invited speaker. (Hard Disk Drives and Data Storage Systems)
• Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, 2007. Invited speaker. (HDD)
• Co-author and Editor, Data Storage Devices and Systems Roadmap, Information Storage Industry Consortium, Jan. ’05. (DSS)
• SNIA Winter Meeting on Object-Oriented Storage Devices, January 2005 (HDD’s & DSS)
• Network Storage 2005, March 2005. (DSS)
• Oracle Corporation, August 2005 (DSS)
• International Storage Technologies Symposium, Greece, September 2005. Invited speaker. (HDD’s & DSS)
• IBM Research Labs, Haifa, Israel, September 2005. (DSS)
• Diskcon, September 2005. (HDD)
• THIC - Tape-Head Interface Consortium, San Jose, CA, March 2004 (HDD)
• Keynote Speaker, 12th NASA/IEEE Mass Storage Systems & Technologies Conference, College Park, MD, April 2004 (HDD)
• Symposium on Data Storage Applications, INSIC, July 2004. (HDD’s & DSS)
• Xerox Palo Alto Research Center PARC, July 2004 Invited speaker. (HDD)
• EMC Corporation, September 2004. (DSS)
• INSIC - Extreme High-Density Recording Workshop, UCSD. 2003. Invited speaker. (HDD)
• THIC - Tape-Head Interface Consortium - San Jose, CA. 2003. Invited speaker. (HDD)
• Data Storage Systems Center, University of California Santa Cruz. 2003. (HDD & DSS)
• Santa Clara Valley IEEE Magnetics Society. 2003 (HDD)
• Invited Speaker, TMRC 2003. (HDD)
• Invited Speaker, Supercomputing 2003. (HDD & DSS))
• Keynote Speaker, 23rd Annual Workshop on Information Storage (“Lake Arrowhead”) 2003. (HDD)
• University of California San Diego - Center for Magnetic Recording Research. 2002. Invited speaker. (HDD)
• University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa - Center for Materials for Information Technologies. 2002. Invited speaker. (HDD)
• Numerous international contributed conference lectures, 1986 – 2001. (HDD)
• Numerous international invited and contributed conference lectures, 1972 – 1984. (High Energy Physics)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: About 20 times. Many repeat engagements.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: • HDD
• recording media
• recording heads
• data organization
• tape recording
• data recording systems
• automotive sensors.
• IP management
• IP and trade secrets’ assessment and adjudication
• IP licensing
• IP portfolio analysis
• IP litigation strategy
• avoidance of IP conflicts.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Roughly 50%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Roughly 50%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Three times.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: June 2014.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Six times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Once.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 13 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, product investigation, patent analysis, claim chart creation, prior art searches, experimental determination of infringement, modeling, comprehensive witness reports, analysis and rebuttal of litigants’ expert reports. Management of office actions, mergers and acquisitions due diligence and IP adjudication, management consulting.
Available by request:
Please send a request via the "E-mail" tab, or click the "Web Page" tab.
Giora J. Tarnopolsky, D.Sc.
650 823 6852 mobile
650 424 8111 land
PO Box 519
Palo Alto, CA 94302-0519