Dr. D.R. Foster is the Principal Engineer at Expert Welding Engineering and Inspection, where he focuses on welding engineering consulting and the training of engineers and technicians.
Dr. Foster is an expert in regard to the design, manufacture, testing, and safety associated with welded structures. In addition to Dr. Foster’s significant experience in the field of welding engineering in both academia and industry, Dr. Foster possesses a BS, MS, and PhD in Welding Engineering. Strongly dedicated to his craft, Dr. Foster has earned multiple certifications related to fields of welding engineering and inspection. These certifications include Certified Welder (CW), Certified Welding Inspector (CWI), Certified Welding Educator (CWE), Certified Welding Supervisor (CWS), Certified Welding Engineer (CWEng), Certified NDT Level III Inspector (NDT III) and Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), all of which have prepared Dr. Foster exceptionally well to properly analyze failures and other welding problems that are the subject of litigation.
Dr. Foster is a former National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) faculty fellow and former tenure track university professor with extensive experience teaching undergraduate- and graduate-level courses in materials science, welding processes, and the design of welded structures. His research has been published in numerous scientific journals, and Dr. Foster has also been a reviewer for many scientific journal publications. He actively presents at multiple engineering conferences every year and has provided invited talks at large government agencies such as the Air Force Research Lab, NASA, and the Navy's National Shipbuilding Research Program. In addition, Dr. Foster has worked with many government organizations such as the Ohio Aerospace Institute, Virginia Aerospace Institute, US Navy, NASA, US Army Corps of Engineers and the National Science Foundation, while also providing welding engineering solutions for private industry.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Design Engineering
- Failure Analysis
- Marine Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PhD Welding Engineering--The Ohio State University
MS Welding Engineering--The Ohio State University
BS Welding Engineering--The Ohio State University
• Certified Welder (CW) -- American Welding Society
• Certified Welding Educator (CWE) -- American Welding Society
• Certified Welding Supervisor (CWS) -- American Welding Society
• Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) -- American Welding Society
• Certified Welding Engineer (CWEng) -- American Welding Society
• Certified Visual Testing Level III Inspector (NDT III) -- American Society of Non-Destructive Testing
• Certified Ultrasonic Testing Level III Inspector (NDT III) -- American Society of Non-Destructive Testing
• Professional Engineer (PE) -- Machine Design and Materials -- Licensed in VA
Available Upon Request