Accomplished Senior Executive and Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, with over forty-five years of experience. Twenty-five years with RTKL Associates Inc., one of the World’s largest Architect and Engineering Firms, where he served as its Vice Chairman. Planning Commissioner on the City of Malibu Planning Commission. Skills include all facets of Architectural Practice. Worldwide, multi-million-dollar project experience includes retail, office, hotel, institutional, and mixed-use. Recently, qualified and served as Standard of Care, Coordination, and Delay Expert in a case involving a major retail project. Has deposition and trial testimony experience.
Areas of Expertise
- Architect Liability
- Building Codes
- Building Contractor Liability
- Construction Damages
- Disabled Access
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BS in ARchitecture from the University of Cincinnati 1968, Registered Architect,
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards,
Registered Architect: Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas,
Registered APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Architect,Fellow, The American Institute of Architects
Listed, Marquis Who's Who in the World
Listed, Marquis Who's Who in America
Listed, Marquis Who's Who in the West
Listed, Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering
Listed, Marquis Who's Who in Finance and Business
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • aecKnowledge Editorial Board, 2010-present
• Advisory Council of the School of Architecture, University of Hawai’i at Manoa, 2011-present
• Adamson House, Malibu, CA Docent, 2010-2015
• Urban Land Institute, Urban and Mixed-Use Development Council, 1997-2001
• International Council of Shopping Centers, Centerbuild Program Committee, 1995-2000
• American Institute of Architects
Regional Representative, The College of Fellows, 2015 - present
AIA California Council Regional Director to the National Board of the AIA, 2005-07
Board Advocacy Committee, AIA National, 2005-07
Global Strategies Task Group, AIA National, 2005
President, AIA California Council, California, 2004
First Vice President, President Elect, AIA California Council, California, 2003
Monterey Design Conference Committee, AIA California Council, California, 2003
Desert Practice Conference Committee, AIA California Council 2002, 2004
Certified Development Strategist Committee, AIA California Council, California 2002-04
Interim Dean, AEC Integration Task Force, 2002-03
Vice President, Regulation and Practice, AIA California Council, California, 2001-02
Co-Chairman, Advocacy Advisory Committee, AIA California Council, 2001-02
Chairman, DGS Liaison Committee, AIA California Council, 1999-2002
Advocacy Advisory Comm., AIA California Council, 1998-2002
Large Firm Roundtable, AIA National, 1997-99
Trustee ARCPAC, AIA California Council 1996-2002, Chairman 2000-02
Director, Los Angeles Chapter, 1996-98
International Committee, AIA National1992-94
Chairman, Large Firm Roundtable, Los Angeles Chapter, 1990
Chairman, Office Location Committee, Dallas Chapter, 1988
Texas Architects Committee, Texas Society of Architects, 1986-90
Public Policy Task Force, Baltimore Chapter, 1977-79
Practice Management Committee, AIA National, 1976-78
Liaison Committee, Baltimore Chapter, 1977-79
Project Procedures Task Force, Baltimore Chapter, 1976
Project Procedures Task Force, Baltimore Chapter 1976-77
National Capitol Committee, AIA National, 1972-74
• Construction Specifications Institute
Chairman, National Awards Committee, 1985-87
Chairman, National Convention, 1983-84
President, Dallas Chapter, 1983-84
Vice-President, Dallas Chapter, 1982-83
Treasurer, Dallas Chapter, 1981-82
Chairman, Program Committee, Dallas Chapter, 1980-81
President, Baltimore Chapter, 1978-1979
Vice President, Baltimore Chapter, 1977-78
Secretary, Baltimore Chapter, 1976-77
• Citizens Planning and Housing Association, Baltimore, MD,
Board of Governors, 1976-79
• Goals for Dallas, Dallas, TX, 1982-86
• Mayor's Building Code Revision Committee, Baltimore, 1978-79
• Baltimore County Architectural Review Board, 1973-76
• National Association of Corporate Real Estate Executives
• National Association of Industrial Office Parks
• Professional Services Management Association
• Central City Association, Los Angeles, CA
• Los Angeles Headquarters Association
• Arbitrator, The New York Stock Exchange
• Arbitrator, The American Stock Exchange
• Arbitrator, National Association of Security Dealers (NASD)
• Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: • The Development Process: Merging East and West Philosophies, Environmental Design, Development & Management International Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 1997
• Challenges and Changes Facing the Design Industry, ICSC CenterBuild Conference, Phoenix, AZ, 1996
• Retail Design 2000, ICSC Asia Pacific Design Conference, , Singapore, 1996
• Keynote address, Managing Change: The Risk Takers, BOMA Australia International Retail Property Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 1995
• Quality Service Builds a Successful Practice, Practice Management Conference, Phoenix, AZ, 1995
• International Trends in Architecture, Shop System Study Society, Shanghai, China, 1993
• Retail Design Presentation, ICSC CenterBuild Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 1993
• International Retail Design Trends, BOMA Australia International Retail Property Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 1992
• Guest Lecturer, Xinghua University, Beijing, China, 1992
• The Universal Language of Architecture, World Real Estate Conference, San Francisco, CA, 1992
• Developer/Architect/Builder Panel, ICSC CenterBuild Conference, Phoenix, AZ, 1991
• Boom in the Lesser Tigers, Urban Land Institute Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 1992
• Retail Design Presentation, ICSC CenterBuild Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 1990
• Retail Design Presentation, ICSC CenterBuild Conference, Tucson, AZ, 1989
• Professional Practice, University of Texas at Arlington, School of Architecture, Arlington, TX, 1986. Visiting Lecturer
• Principals of Construction Specifications, Catonsville Community College, Baltimore, MD, 1978 to 1979. Course Director
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: eight
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Construction Defects; Construction Delays; Professional Liability; Errors & Omissions; Standard of Care; Construction Claims & Disputes; Safety Codes & Standards; Building Codes; Slip, Trip & Fall; Change Order; Design; Coordination: Contract Administration; Architectural Detailing
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 38%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 62%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Three
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10/14/2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Three
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Three
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Seven
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, inspections
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $375.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $375.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $375.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $375.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All reasonable out of pocket expenses including, but not limited to travel, testing, research, copying, storage of evidence or documents, etc.
References upon request.