MORTGAGE & REAL ESTATE EXPERT WITNESS | FRAUD INVESTIGATOR | 25+ YEARS EXPERIENCE
Highly skilled expert in bank fraud, bankruptcy fraud, elder financial abuse, forged deeds, identity theft, insurance fraud, mortgage investigations, private/hard money lending, real estate broker standards & practices, title insurance claims, and wrongful foreclosure. Recent employment history includes senior positions as a bank audit manager, mortgage fraud examiner, mortgage underwriter ($1M lending authority), licensed financial crimes investigator, and real estate broker.
Interviewed & quoted by AARP, CNBC/American Greed, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal. Retained by banks, financial institutions, governmental agencies, and law firms. Business Websites: MortgageExpertWitnesses.com & WhiteCollarPI.com.
IMMEDIATE CONSULTATION AVAILABLE for financial crimes investigations & expert witness projects. Available for expert assignments in AZ, CA, CO, FL, HI. Call now (858) 336-0520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curtis L. Novy is a seasoned professional with 15 years expert witness experience who is uniquely qualified based on his combined experience and formal training as a bank fraud examiner, certified fraud investigator, mortgage underwriter, and real estate broker. Retained on over 200 litigation cases. Certified in state & federal courts in the areas of mortgage lending fraud, real estate misconduct, forged title documents, and wrongful foreclosures. Deposition and Trial testimony provided in 2022 & 2023.
Offices Serving: Arizona | Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Orange County | Menlo Park, San Diego, Riverside | Denver.
Representative cases include: bank fraud, commercial & construction loans, concealment of real estate holdings, divorce asset disputes, elder financial abuse, church asset theft, fraudulent Grant Deed transfers, foreclosures, identity theft, embezzlement, fiduciary duties, mortgage fraud, private lender loans, real estate standards & practices, SEC real estate fraud, zombie loans, money laundering, private lender fraud, PPP loan fraud, and title/escrow standards & practices.
Core clients include: Banks, credit reporting agencies, divorce attorneys, financial institutions, law firms, and state/federal agencies.
Government lending experience includes HUD FHA Direct Endorsement Underwriter and VA underwriter credentials. Mr. Novy’s core credentials include certified fraud investigator (CFI), CA licensed PI, and real estate brokers’ license. Continuing education courses, conferences, and training certificates are earned annually through ABA, ACAMS, ACFE, CALI, CFCIA, and CA Dept. of Real Estate.
As a licensed investigator in Arizona, California, and Colorado, Mr. Novy has earned 6,500 hours of specialized financial fraud investigation training and conducts mortgage fraud seminars for state & federal agencies. Overall, Mr. Novy’s well rounded experience, verified industry credentials, licensing, and years of formal bank examination training are beneficial to clients seeking a highly qualified expert witness with vetted credentials.
Primary Areas of Expert Witness Testimony:
• Agency Buybacks & Insurance Claims
• Bank Audits & Fair Lending Examinations
• Mortgage & Real Estate Fraud, Divorce Investigations
• Elder Financial Abuse & Identity Theft
• Falsified Documents & Forged Deeds
• HUD-OIG, IRS, or FBI Criminal Investigations
• Loan Application Fraud, Misstatement of Material Facts, PPP Loan Fraud
• Mortgage Fraud Audits & Mortgage Underwriting Standards & Practices
• Private Mortgage Insurance, Private Investor Loans, Promissory Notes
• Real Estate Regulations and Standards of Care for Mortgage & Real Estate Brokers
• Title & Escrow Standards & Practices, Title Fraud, and Forged Grant Deeds
CA Dept. of Real Estate Broker's License # 01108665
CA Bureau of Security & Investigative Services, Qualified Manager License # PI188926
AZ Dept. of Public Services, Qualified Manager License # 1773687
Financial Investigative Services (FISIntel.com) or MortgageExpertWitnesses.com
- Commercial Real Estate
- Construction Lending
- Escrow/Title Insurance
- Fraud Investigation
- Insurance Fraud
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Damages
- Real Estate Finance
- Residential Real Estate
- White Collar Crime
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Active CA Real Estate Broker's License
AZ Private Investigator's License
CA Bureau of Security & Investigations- Licensed Private Investigator/Qualified Manager
CO Private Investigator
Certified Fraud Investigator (Registered with California Financial Crimes Investigators Association)
Bank certified mortgage underwriter & credit risk management (Wells Fargo Bank)
Bachelor's of Arts, CA State University Long Beach
Colorado Real Estate Brokers License (inactive)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Active Memberships:
American Bar Association (Non-Attorney Member)
Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS)
Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
CA Association of Certified Fraud Investigators- Certified Fraud Investigator credential
California Association of Licensed Private Investigators (CALI)
Professional Private Investigators Association (PPIA) of CO
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: -Mortgage & Real Estate Fraud Training- State & Federal Agencies
-AARP Training for seniors in the areas of avoiding real estate investment scams
-Interviewed and quoted by CNN, CNBC, NY Times, Wall Street Journal
-Mortgage/Real Estate Training for Divorce Attorneys
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 200+ civil and criminal fraud cases. Primary expert testimony in areas of financial institution fraud including mortgage and real estate, bank fraud, escrow/title insurance fraud, private lender fraud and misconduct. Actively retained on cases involving embezzlement of non-profit funds, bank fraud, insurance fraud, mortgage banker disputes, insurance claims, mortgage fraud, real estate fraud.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Bank Fraud
Bankruptcy Financial Fraud
Commercial Lending & Lender Loss Analysis
Divorce Cases- Misappropriation of Community Assets
Escrow & Title Fraud
Elder Financial Theft
Employee Misconduct & Executive Investigations
Human Resources/Internal Investigations
Identity Theft of Real Estate
Mortgage Origination Practices
Mortgage Standards & Practices
Real Estate Fraud
Fraudulent Deeds, Title Theft
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 30+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: July 2023
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 50+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 10. Most recent civil trial testimony 9/2022, 3/2023, and 9/2023. I have issued 50+ court declarations and expert witness reports over the past 10 years. Testified in state & federal courts.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15+ years. Received significant training, including conferences in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Deposition and trial testimony in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Conferences attended in 2023: ACFE Global Fraud Conference, CFCIA Conference, CALI.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Confidential Attorney Consulting
Expert Witness Reports
Primary Focus of Investigative and Expert Witness Services:
Real Estate Expert Witness
Mortgage Expert Witness
Mortgage Fraud Investigations
Escrow/Title Expert Witness
Civil & Criminal Fraud Investigations, Surveillance
Mortgage Identity Theft
Mortgage Underwriting- Agency Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, HUD, Jumbo, and VA
Mortgage Risk Management
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Fee schedule is stipulated in Retainer Agreement. Clients must be represented by counsel.
Financial Investigator rates: $150.00 to $200.00 per hour (through 2023).
Expert Witness rates $350.00 to $650.00 per hour (through 2023). Retainer fees are non-refundable.
Note: All rates and fees subject to change without notice.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Mortgage/Real Estate Expert Witness: Initial phone consultation with attorney (first 30 minutes, no charge).
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: See Retainer Agreement
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: See Retainer Agreement.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: See Retainer Agreement.
Available Upon Request. Excellent references available from 2008 through 2023.