We have been very effective in litigation support by assisting attorneys in their evaluation of the merits of impending action, in testimony and in consultation with counsel during preparation for trial. We qualify as experts in many fields of engineering practice. We can also assist in locating an expert if the required areas of expertise are beyond our scope. We are available to counsel for either plaintiff or defense and as advisors and experts empaneled by the Court.
Curtis E Falany, P.E. is President and Principal of J. B. Shepherd & Company, Inc. He has been a forensic electrical engineer and expert witness for over twenty years. Previously, he was the CEO of an electrical design build firm and a principal in a consortium of companies serving the electrical, computer, and communications industries worldwide. He has served as a member of the Florida Electrical Contractors Licensing Board and as the author of the Hillsborough County Florida Electrical Code.
As a forensic engineer and expert witness, Curtis has assisted clients in the investigation and resolution of more than 500 cases both in the USA and overseas. He has given expert testimony in both Federal and State litigation. Curtis has consulted on matters of Surety, Property, Casualty, Fidelity, Workers Compensation, and Construction Disputes.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Construction Damages
- Electrical Engineering
- Failure Analysis
- Professional Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. in Engineering Science, Florida State University
P.E. in Alabama, Florida, Pennsylvania & West Virginia
Florida licensed Electrical and Building Contractor
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Society of Professional Engineers ( NSPE )
Florida Engineering Society ( FES )
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers ( IEEE )
National Academy of Forensic Engineers ( NAFE )
Utility Arborist Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty, College of Engineering, University of South Florida.
Presented CEU courses at the Southern Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference and Northeast Fidelity and Claims Conference.
Paper on lightning at NAFE annual meeting.
Paper on wild land (forest) fires at NAFE annual meeting.
Teaching continuing education courses for legal and insurance professionals.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO!
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 500
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Electrical failures, fires, and explosions.
Electrical contact injuries including workers compensation.
Electrical contract disputes including surety support.
Computer and communications failures including cable strikes.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: About 40% counting workers compensation cases as defense.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: About 60%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 24, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Over 24
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Forensic Engineer
Consultant for case evaluation and strategy
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 350.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 350.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 350.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 350.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Reimburse usual and customary travel expenses.
References upon request.