Dr. Claire Sand is a Global Packaging Leader with over 35 years of food science and packaging experience.
She is the top expert in the field of food packaging and has received the Lifetime Achievement Award (Riester-Davis-Brody) in Food Packaging, as well as being awarded an Institute of Food Technologists Fellow.
Claire has authored 136 publications, conducted 75 global presentation chapters, and is a monthly Food Packaging columnist for Food Technology and Packaging Digest.
Dr. Sand is the owner and founder of Packaging Technology and Research, LLC,. She is also an Adjunct Professor at Michigan State University and CalPoly and has previously worked at Total Quality Marketing, Nestle, General Mills, Kraft Heinz, Safeway, and academia, as well as in basic research, development market research, and marketing in Germany, Colombia, and Thailand.
Claire serves on 3 Editorial Boards and holds Board-level positions in SPRING, Pac Global, Phi Tau Sigma and the Institute of Food Technologists.
Dr. Sand received her doctorate in Food Science and Nutrition from the University of Minnesota, as well as master's and bachelor's degrees in packaging from Michigan State University.
Claire has served as an expert witness in 18 cases since 2016, involving 8 patents, 4 food packaging and food spoilage cases, and 6 other cases.
- Food Processing Engineering
- Intellectual Property
- Materials Engineering
- Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)
- Pulp & Paper Industry
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education
• Ph.D., Food Science, and Nutrition, University of Minnesota, 1992
o Additional coursework in Strategic Management and Chemical Engineering
• M.S., Packaging, Michigan State University, 1989
• B.S., Packaging, Michigan State University, 1986
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Current Leadership
• SPRING, Advisory Board, 2021-
• pac, Co-Chair Food Waste, 2018-
• Sustainable Packaging Coalition (SPC)-Advisor Food Waste Repackaged, 2021-
• National Science Foundation (NSF) Reviewer, 2021-
• Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Executive Board, Food Packaging Division, 1990-
• Phi Tau Sigma, Life-time member, 2014-
Current Editorial Boards
• Journal of Food Science Associate Editor and Editorial Board, 2014-
• Packaging Science and Technology, John Wiley and Sons, Editorial Board, 2004-
• Critical Review in Food Science and Technology, Editorial Board, 2019-
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Professor at Michigan State University and CalPoly in subjects of food packaging and the packaging value chain.
136 publications including 1 book and 3 chapters, conducted 75 global presentations, and monthly Food Packaging columnist for Food Technology and Packaging Digest.
Presentations, Panels, Webinars, and Short Courses are:
1. Sand, C., 2023. What Are Creative Solutions for Addressing Food Waste Across the F&B Value Chain? / Use of Bayesian Networks to Make More Sustainable Food Packaging Choices That Prevent Food Waste. IFT First Conference. July
2. Sand, C., 2023. Interview for The Atlantic: Compostable Plastic Is Garbage
3. Sand, C., 2023. Industry solutions to phase out PFAS and other chemicals of concern in packaging. Chemical Watch - by Enhesa Food Contact Regulations USA 2023 event. June.
4. Sand, C., 2023. Challenges Related to PFAS in Packaging. Food Safety Summit. May
5. Sand, C., 2023. Future of Food Packaging | More Sustainable Food Packaging. University of Wisconsin-Madison. May.
6. Sand, C., 2023. Understanding PFAS: Regulations, Sources, Chemistry, and Alternatives. Mérieux webinar. April
7. Sand, C., 2022. Implications of Shelf Life at the Extremes. Shelf-Life International Meeting (SliM). Bogota, Colombia. November
8. Sand, C., 2022. Top Three Packaging Solutions to Prevent Food Waste. Global Pouch Forum. Chicago. June
9. Sand, C., 2022. The Role of Packaging in Food Waste Reduction Efforts. ReFED Food Waste Summit. May
10. Sand, C., 2022. Bio-industrial Materials, Trends and Opportunities. AURI New Uses Forum, March.
11. Sand, C., 2021. Leading trends, challenges and opportunities that relate to establishing a circular economy for plastics packaging. Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA), November.
12. Sand, C., 2021. Role of packaging science and mobile processing in preventing food waste. FAO. International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste. September 2021
13. Sand, C., 2021. Reducing food waste with packaging - Intelligent packaging & Antimicrobial packaging. IFT Non Thermal Processing Short Course. October.
14. Sand, C., 2021. ReFED panel on Maximize Product Utilization: Panel Detail. August.
15. Sand, C., 2021. Keeping Packaged Food Safe - Implications of New Regulations and Test Methods for Assessing Direct Contact Food Packaging, IFT Annual meeting. June.
16. Sand, C., 2021. WIP-Keeping Packaged Food Safe - Implications of New Regulations and Test Methods for Assessing Direct Contact Food Packaging. University of Minnesota, Environmental Series. March.
17. Sand, C., 2021. Panelist on the role of packaging and mobile processing to align with need for supply chain resiliency and prevent food waste. World Bank. May.
18. Sand, C., 2021. Packaging Technology Advancements and their Implementation to Prevent Food Waste. Sustainable Packaging Coalition. May.
19. Sand, C., 2021. The Most Recent Anti-Microbial Packaging Research and Applications for Foods with Improved Safety, Quality, and Sustainability. Engineering Days. May.
20. Sand, C., 2021. More Sustainable Food System. Phi Tau Sigma. Louisiana State University. May.
21. Sand, C., 2020. More Sustainable Packaging for Entrepreneurs. GrowNorth webinar. October.
22. Sand, C., 2020. More Sustainable Packaging Solutions to Improve Consumer Confidence in Ground Beef. AURI webinar. November.
23. Sand, C., 2020. Keeping Food Safe using the Packaging Value Chain. SPE-IoPP Webinar. October.
24. Sand, C., 2020. Interview for AURI (Agricultural Utilization Research Institute: More Food Recovery Opportunities, Less Food Waste, July
25. Sand, C., 2020. Leveraging Protein Waste with Novel Products. IFT. July.
26. Sand, C., 2020. Leveraging Protein Waste with Novel Products. IFT. July.
27. Sand, C., 2020. Comparative LCA-Based Approaches to Assessing the Sustainability of Packaging: A Comparison of Toolkits, ISO Regulations, and DEA. IFT. July.
28. Sand, C., 2020. Beta, XR, AI, and Big Data Advance Food Packaging. Riester-Davis-Brody Life-time Achievement session. IFT. July.
29. Sand, C., 2020. Building the Business Case for Food Loss and Waste and Stakeholder Engagement. AURI webinar. April.
30. Sand, C., 2020. Incorporating More Sustainable Packaging Materials with System Solutions. ACS Philadelphia
31. Sand, C., 2020. Packaging for a more sustainable Food System. Packaging & Processed Foods: Eating Well, Eating Sustainably. Baton Rouge
32. Sand, C.,2019. More Sustainable Food Packaging Innovations. National Academy of Sciences
33. Sand, C.K., 2019. Economics of food waste reduction as a function of packaging solutions: building the business case for packaging solutions to food waste. Food Packaging, Shelf Life, and Food Safety conference. Munich. Fall 2019
34. Sand, C.K., 2019. Toward More Sustainable Packaged Food More Sustainable Packaging and Less Food Waste. Convergence. McGill.
35. Sand, C.K., 2019. Consumer/Market Drivers and Direction for More Sustainable Packaged Food. IFT Webcast.
36. Boz, Z., Parra, J., and Sand, CK, 2019. Migration from Packaging - Concerns and Opportunity. IAPRI Netherlands. June 2019
37. Sand, C.K., Boz, Z., Korhonen, V., 2019. Current Issues and Advances in Consumer Research and Testing for Sustainable Packaging. IAPRI, Netherlands. June 2019
38. Boz, Z., Parra, J., and Sand, C., 2019. Recent Challenges and Advances in Migration from Packaging Materials into Foods. IFT Annual meeting June 2019
39. Sand, C.K., 2019. Quantifying the impact of packaging solutions to reduce food waste in Symposia entitled Packaging solutions to reduce food waste: Packaging Case studies. IFT Annual meeting June 2019
40. Sand, C.K., 2019. Packaging for food waste minimization in symposia: Food loss and waste minimization in fruit and vegetable chains: global perspectives and opportunities for transformation into high-value products and ingredients. IFT Annual Meeting. June 2019
41. Sand, C.K., 2018. Symposia Co-Chair: Packaging solutions to reduce food waste: Packaging Case studies. IFT Annual Meeting. June 2019
42. Sand, C.K., 2018. Sustainable packaging and its role in reducing food waste. IuFoST, Mumbai, October 2018.
43. Sand, C.K., 2018. Symposia Co-Chair: New Packaging Materials to Address Sustainability. IuFoST, Mumbai, October 2018.
44. Sand, C.K., 2018. Keynote: Packaging with more value. Keynote Food Tech Summit & Expo Mexico. September 2018.
45. Sand, C.K., 2018. The Role of Intelligent Packaging and the Internet of Things. Food Engineering conference. Symposia Chair. Minneapolis. September 2018
46. Sand, C.K., 2018. Symposia Co-Chair: Food Packaging and Shelf Life. Food Engineering conference. Minneapolis. September 2018
47. Sand, C.K., 2018. The future of Intelligent packaging. IFT. Chicago. July 2018
48. Sand, C.K., 2018. Symposia Co-Chair: The future of food packaging. IFT. Chicago. July 2018
49. Sand, C.K., 2018. Packaging value chain. Pac Webinar.
50. Sand, C.K., 2018. Packaging technologies and value chain concepts to advance value-added pulse-based foods. McGill Convergence Innovation Webinar
51. Sand, C.K. and Boz, Z., 2018. Nutrient Loss as a Function of Packaging, Processing and Food Waste for Tomatoes, Peaches, Kidney Beans, and Spinach. International Association of Packaging Research Institutes Zhuhai, China. June 2018
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 18
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Food packaging patents
rigid bottles, closures/caps, trays, cups, jars, etc
flexible films - lidding, flexible packaging, etc
Package design as applied to utility and design patents
Packaging innovations and science in active packaging, intelligent packaging, interactive packaging
Food safety related to packaging
Food and packaging interactions
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 13
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Spring 2023
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Authorized in all cases that were at Trial
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Have not testified at Trial
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 7 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Opinions
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $325/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $600/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $900/hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Testing fees billed at cost with no markup.
Available Upon Request