Dr. Byrd is a scientific executive with 15+ years of biotechnology, DNA forensics, and life sciences experience and 5+ years of litigation/court experience. He has held multiple scientific lead positions including Director of Biosciences at the Army Research Laboratory and Lead Scientific Advisor to the Chief of Staff of the Army, and is currently qualified as a laboratory technical assessor by the ANSI National Accreditation Board. He has also worked as a professor of chemistry, biochemistry, and biology and is currently an adjunct professor of biopharmaceutical engineering. He has collaborated in research efforts with federal, academic, and industry partners such as DARPA, DHS, FBI, MIT, UCSB, and MedImmune, among others.
His areas of expertise include:
➢ Forensic Science
➢ DNA and Nucleic Acids
➢ Patent Review and Investigation
➢ Research and Development
➢ Pharmaceutical Development
➢ Bacteria and infection
➢ Laboratory documentation and research review
- Infectious Disease
- Laboratory Medicine
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Dr. Byrd holds a BS in Design Engineering from the University of Central Florida, and a PhD in Bioengineering from the University of Maryland. He is Level III certified in Program and R&D Management by the Defense Acquisitions University and is currently qualified as a laboratory technical assessor by the ANSI National Accreditation Board.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Research Affiliate, George Washington University Cancer Center.
Member, American Society for Microbiology
Member, American Chemical Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Asst. Prof, United States Military Academy at West Point (2014-2016). Instructed Chemistry and Biochemistry, and lectured in Anatomy, Biology, and Laboratory Processes courses.
Adjunct Professor at the University of Maryland (2008 to 2011). Taught chemistry laboratory procedures and lecturedon various biological and bioengineering topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: ~12
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Biochemistry, biomechanics, chemistry, laboratory processes, laboratory methods, laboratory record analysis.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 1
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 2
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 2
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 5
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 550
Eric M. Dobrusin
The Dobrusin Law Firm, PC
29 W. Lawrence Street
Pontiac, MI 48342
Tele: (248) 292-2920
Fax: (248) 292-2910