Dr. Byrd is an executive and former senior military officer with extensive expertise in biotechnology, chemistry, and life science research and development strategic efforts, ventures and processes and has Federal case testimony experience. He currently consults on various scientific programs and projects for the National Institutes of Health, Macmillan Science Publishing, and the Pentagon, and is a research affiliate and senior adviser for the George Washington University Cancer Center. He has held multiple scientific lead positions including Director of Biosciences at the Army Research Laboratory and Lead Scientific Adviser to the Chief of Staff of the Army. He has also worked as a professor of chemistry, biochemistry, and biology and has collaborated in research efforts with federal, academic, and industry partners such as DARPA, DHS, FBI, MIT, UCSB, and MedImmune, among others.
Areas of Expertise
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Dr. Byrd holds a BS in Design Engineering from the University of Central Florida, and a PhD in Bioengineering from the University of Maryland. He is Level III certified in Program and R&D Management by the Defense Acquisitions University.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Research Affiliate, George Washington University Cancer Center.
Member, American Society for Microbiology
Member, American Chemical Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Asst. Prof, United States Military Academy at West Point (2014-2016). Instructed Chemistry and Biochemistry, and lectured in Anatomy, Biology, and Laboratory Processes courses.
Adjunct Professor at the University of Maryland (2008 to 2011). Taught chemistry laboratory procedures and lecturedon various biological and bioengineering topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: N/A
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 2
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Biochemistry, biomechanics, chemistry, laboratory processes, laboratory methods, laboratory record analysis.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 550
Available Upon Request