Dr. Carrigan is a licensed Civil Engineer (serving clients nationally) providing highway, roadside, and traffic safety expert consulting services with particular focus in these areas: run-off-road crashes involving passenger vehicles, heavy trucks, and/or buses; crashes with highway barriers including guardrails, bridge rails, median barrier, cable barrier, and concrete barrier; crashes with terminals, crash cushions, and attenuators; tree/pole crashes; rollovers; highway design and construction, and highway safety.
- Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Safety Engineering
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Transportation Construction
- Transportation Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: I have a PhD in Civil Engineering with a focus on highway and roadside safety. I am a registered professional engineer (PE) in the States of AZ, CT, IL, ME, MA, MS, OH, SC, TX, WS and holds an NCEES Model Law record.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Maine Society of Professional Engineers – Board of Directors (Director, May 2019 – present)
Transportation Research Board -- Subcommittee AKD20(3) In-Service Performance Evaluation (Chair, November 2020 - Present).
Transportation Research Board -- Roadside Safety, Committee AKD20 (Member, April 15, 2019-April 14, 2022).
Transportation Research Board -- Geometric Design, Committee AKD10 (Member, 2012-2021).
Transportation Research Board -- Highway Safety Performance, Committee ANB25 (Friend, 2013 – present).
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have been an invited speaker on highway and roadside safety more than 29 times. I have presented my published papers more than 40 times. I have taught classes as an adjunct professor and routinely provide training to my peers in the area of roadside design and safety. My CV has a detailed list.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Roadside design; median design; barrier warrants; guardrail end treatments; guardrail terminals; impact attenuators; bridge pier crash, cable barrier; concrete barrier; guardrail; work zone crash; highway design and construction; rollover; cross median crash; wrong way crash; tractor trailer crash.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 20%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 80%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 20, 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 16
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 5
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, site inspections, testimony in depositions and trial.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All reasonable out of pocket expenses (e.g., airfare, taxi, lodging, overnight mail, etc.) will be directly invoiced.
Available Upon Request