I am a board certified OB/GYN with 27 years of experience, with expertise in birth injuries, fetal monitoring, shoulder dystocia, and operative injuries. I pride myself on my honesty, and am articulate, credible, and jury friendly. I perform work for both plaintiff and defendant. I retired from the clinical practice of OB/GYN in 2008, and entered academic medicine in 2011 as an Assistant Clinical Professor at UC San Diego School of Medicine.
Areas of Expertise
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN)
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. - Cornell University 1976
M.D. - New York Medical College 1980
OB/GYN Residency - UC San Diego Medical Center 1984
Board Certification - American Board of OB/GYN - 2010 (current)
Diplomat - American College of OB/GYN
Medical License - California 2010 (current)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Assistant Clinical professor - UC San Diego School of Medicine
Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) - top 15% of medical school class
Voluntary Clinical Instructor - UC San Diego
Cornell Alumni Ambassador Association Network (CAAAN) member
UC San Diego Mentor Program for pre-med students
CMO: Medvec International GmbH
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Tutor/Facilitator - UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 20
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Birth injuries, Shoulder dystocia, Fetal monitoring, Cerebral palsy, Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, Vasa previa, Obstetrical complications, Peer review
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 3
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2010
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 3
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Record review and evaluation to formulate my opinion as an expert, deposition and court testimony. I provide a succinct written summary of my evaluation and expert opinion if requested. I also perform peer review to assess the competency of colleagues, as requested by hospital medical staffs (I have done this on two occasions.)
Law Offices of Barton H. Hegeler
4660 La Jolla Village Drive, Suite 670
San Diego, Ca. 92122
Law Offices of Thomas Diachenko
1916 3rd Ave.
San Diego, Ca. 92101