Mr. Charles P. Stephenson
Overland Park, KS 66207
Mr. Stephenson is a former Police Officer, FBI Agent, FBI Police Instructor, FBI - SWAT/Firearms Instructor/Defensive Tactics Instructor and FBI National Academy Instructor:
Mr. Stephenson is a certified, Use of Force/Firearm's Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri. He is certified by Taser International as a Taser instructor for Private Security Officers. He is a certified ALICE instructor pertaining to Active Shooters in the public-school environment. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of the AELE Lethal/Less Lethal Use of Force certification program and is certified as a Litigation Specialist - Police. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of the Crime Scene Shooting Reconstruction - Ballistics program awarded thru Forensic Pieces, Inc., Pensacola, Florida. He is certified by Force Science in the areas of Biomechanics; the Psychology of Crisis Encounters; Human Performance; Arrest related Death Investigations and Cognitive Interview Techniques.
Mr. Stephenson maintains his expertise by attending contemporary in-service programs in Use of Force (Lethal/less Lethal) and Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics. He is a certified as a Litigation Specialist-Police. He is a graduate of the Force Science Certification program.
Mr. Stephenson has over 30 years' experience in Public Law Enforcement, Contract Security Guard Operations and the Private Investigative Industry. He has testified as an Expert Witness in numerous State and Federal jurisdictions throughout the United States in Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics/Firearms, Use of Lethal/Less Lethal Force by Public Law Enforcement Officers, Private Security Officers and private citizens.
Mr. Stephenson utilizes his education and work experience to evaluate the " totality of circumstances" involving false arrest/illegal detention, wrongful death and excessive Use of Force by Private Security and Public Law enforcement officers. He evaluates each incident based on the "totality of the circumstance" and whether the use of force was "objectively reasonable".
Mr. Stephenson's education and work experience provide him with a unique perspective, when analyzing whether the Use of Force was Objectively Reasonable or Unreasonable. His work experience and education provide him with the analytical tools necessary to conduct a realistic assessment and render opinions on Crime Scene Reconstruction, Ballistics - Bullet Trajectory and interview- evidence collection techniques involved in Use of Force incidents.
While assigned as an FBI Agent in Des Moines, Iowa, Mr. Stephenson was engaged in a gun battle with an armed fugitive resulting in the wounding and arrest of the fugitive. Mr. Stephenson was the Case Agent and arrested of a Top Ten Fugitive wanted for murder.
Mr. Stephenson was the Chief Instructor Pilot for the FBI MIdwest Region; he flew numerous undercover and narcotics interdiction operations that resulted in the arrest of numerous individuals and seizure of narcotics contraband.
Mr. Stephenson deployed as an undercover FBI operative during the armed conflict with AIM radicals on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Mr. Stephenson was deployed as an FBI SWAT team member on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation and exchanged gunfire with radical members of AIM subsequent to the murder of two FBI Agents.
During the 1992 Clinton\Gore Presidential Campaign Mr. Stephenson traveled with the campaign as a Security/ Electronic Interception of Oral Communications Countermeasures consultant.
Mr. Stephenson testified in U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon on behalf of Ammon Bundy and other co-defendants who where charged with conspiracy and firearms violations in connection with the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016. His testimony centered around Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics. All defendants were acquitted of all charges.
Mr. Stephenson was a guest instructor at the United States Air Force Judge Advocate School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama lecturing on Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics/Trajectory.
Mr. Stephenson will be a featured commentator in an upcoming documentary entitled " Reasonable Doubt" involving police investigative procedures used during a homicide investigation.
www.Backgrounds Plus. com
- 1983 Litigation
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Crime Scene Analysis
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Firearms & Ballistics
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Lighting & Illumination
- Police Procedures
- Premises Liability
- Private Investigators
- Retail Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor Of Science Degree, pursuing MBA Baker University, in Human Resource Management. Former FBI
Police Instructor in Use of Force, Firearms, Ballastics, Self-Defense and Weapon Retention. FBI Instructor Pilot Air Surveillance Operations.FBI National Academy Instructor for Law Enforcement officers attending FBI National Academy. Graduate Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics awarded thru Forensic Pieces Inc., Certified AELE Litigation Specialist - Police - Use of Force Lethal/Less Lethal.
Certified Firearms Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri for Private Investigators and Civilians. Licensed Private Detective in Kansas and Missouri. Certified by Taser International as instructor for Private Security in the use of Taser weapons. Certified as Homeland Security Specialist - Level II thru The American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.Certified Instructor in ALICE Active Shooter Countermeasures. Graduate of Crime Scene Reconstruction - Firearms, Ballistics awarded thru Forensic Pieces. Pensacola, Florida. Numerous certificates awarded in CE for firearms/ballistics use of force - lethal/less lethal
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Industrial Security
International Association of Chiefs of Police
American College of Forensic Examiners Institute
Kansas Association of Licensed Investigators
Kansas Association of Private Investigators
Missouri Association of Private Investigators
World Association of Private Investigators
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I instruct and lecture for the private business sector and the Private Security/Investigative Industry on: Interview techniques, Appropriate handling of handguns and shoulder weapons, Active Shooter Survival Techniques, Firearms Use, Contemporary Issues for Law Enforcement and the Private Citizen in an open carry society; Self Defense, Lethal/less lethal techniques, Crime Scene Reconstruction and Ballistics. Guest Instructor United States Air Force, Judge Advocate School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama - Crime Scene Reconstruction/ Ballistics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Between 30/35 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Crime Scene Reconstruction; Ballistics; Premises Liability Foresee ability;Contract Security Guard Negligence Hiring and Retention; Excessive Use of Force Lethal/Less Lethal for Law Enforcement Officers and Security Guards. Use of Taser Weapons.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 15 to 25
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2022 (5)
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 25 /30 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 25/30
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Plaintiff/Defense litigation support on incidents involving; Use of Force lethal/less lethal policies and procedures as it pertains to the totality of the circumstance, Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics -Firearms
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial consultation one hour no charge. Standard rate of $225.00 an hour for document review and subsequent discussions thereafter. An initial retainer fee may be required upon completion of agreement parameters.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $225.00 an hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $ 3,000.00 1st four hours, $350.00 for each hour thereafter based on an 8 hour day. Within a 25 mile radius of home domicile no travel time or expense charged. Outside 25 mile radius travel charged at $175.00 per hour portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation lodging and food.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $ 3,000.00 minimum for first three hours of testimony. $ 350.00 per hour thereafter. Based on an 8 hour day.Travel time charged at $ 200.00 per hour portal to portal. Transportation costs - airfare actual costs, .75 cents a mile for automobile,lodging and food actual.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel costs and per diem are quoted on individual case basis based on an 8 hour day portal to portal. Report construction $250.00 an hour. Reproduction costs to download/print discovery material.25 cents a page plus shipping.
605 West 47th Street #320
Kansas City,Missouri 64112-1905
Sarah Baron Houy
333 West Boulevard
P.O. Box 2670
Rapid City, South Dakota 57709
10955 Lowell,Suite 440
Overland Park, Kansas 66210
1418 McCallie Avenue
2910 Grtand Avenue,
Des Moines, Iowa,50312