Mr.Stephenson is a former FBI Agent,FBI Police Instructor,FBI - SWAT/Firearms Instructor/Defensive Tactics Instructor, FBI Flight Instructor,FBI National Academy Instructor. He is a concealed carry firearms instructor for Kansas and Missouri. Mr. Stephenson is certified by Taser International as a Taser instructor for Private Security Officers. Mr.Stephenson is a graduate of the AELE institute Lethal/Less Lethal force program and is Certified thru AELE as a Litigation Specialist - Police.
Mr. Stephenson expertise and hands on experience provides valuable insight into use of force issues as they pertain to the fourth amendment, subjective reasonableness and threat assessment questions that arise out of use of force incidents. Mr. Stephenson has over 30 years experience in Public Law Enforcement, Contract Security Guard Operations and the Private Investigative Industry. He has testified and rendered opinions in State and Federal court concerning lethal/less lethal issues and failure to provide adequate security at bars, apartment complexes, shopping malls, office complexes and Special Event gatherings. Mr, Stephenson utilizes his expertise and experience to examine false arrest/illegal detention, wrongful death and excessive use of force issues by Private Security and Public Law enforcement officers. Mr. Stephenson approaches each case with a "Best Practice" evaluation tempered with 30 years of operational field experience. Mr. Stephenson understands that training, policies and procedures must be audited on continual basis to insure they comply with use of force court guidelines.
Mr. Stephenson is pleased to announce his association with Dr. Grerald R. Griffen, Associate Professor at University of Phoenix, Undergraduate & Doctoral Courses. Dr Giffen is a former law enforcement officer and actively teaches Conflict Management in Criminal Justice and Organizational Theory/Behavior, Strategic Planning and Decision making.
Through his investigative firm, Mr. Stephenson also provides civil/criminal investigations, locates and interviews witnesses and subpoena services.
Mr. Stephenson recently testified in U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon on behalf of Ammon Bundy and other co-defendants who where charged with conspiracy and firearms violations in connection with the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016. His testimony centered around rendering his opinion concerning the implications of open carry laws in the U.S and the safe handling of shoulder weapons and handguns as it pertains to brandishing. All defendants were acquitted all charges on 10/27/16
Areas of Expertise
- 1983 Litigation
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Crime Scene Analysis
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Firearms & Ballistics
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Lighting & Illumination
- Police Procedures
- Premises Liability
- Private Investigators
- Retail Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor Of Science Degree;Continuing Education Baker University,MBA in Human Resource Management. FBI Police Instructor; Firearms, Self-Defense,Weapon Retention;FBI Instructor Pilot Air Surveillance Operations-FBI National Academy Instructor for Local Law enforcement officers attending National Academy;Certified Firearms Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri for Private Investigators and Civilian Concealed Carry- FAA Flight Instructor- Airline Transport Pilot Rated. Licensed Private Detective for Kansas and Missouri. Homeland Security Certified.Certified by Taser International as instructor for Private Security in the use of Taser weapons. Graduate AELE foundation use of Letal/Less Lethal Force, Certified Litigation Specialist - Police by AELE. Numerous certificates awarded in CE for electronic surveillance detection and use of GPS tracking devices.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Industrial Security
Kansas Association Of Licensed Investigators
Kansas Association of Private Investigators
Missouri Association of Private Investigators
World Association of Private Investigators
International Association Chiefs of Police
American Society of Industrial Security
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I instruct and lecture on a variety of Security and Risk Management topics for the Private business sector and the Private Security/Investigative Industry on a continuing basis in the following areas: Interview techniques, Appropriate use and handling of handguns and shoulder weapons, Active Shooter Survival Techniques, Contemporary Issues involving firearms, law enforcement and the private citizen in an open carry society. Self Defense and the use lethal/less lethal techniques.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Between 25/30 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Crime Scene Investigation,Premises Liability,Foresee-ability,Contract Security Guard Negligence Hiring and Retention. Excessive Use of Force Lethal/Less Lethal,for Law Enforcement Officers and Security Guards. Appropriate use of Taser Weapons. The safe handling of handguns and shoulder weapons.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50 %
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50 %
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10 to 15
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 01/25/2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: none
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Plaintiff/defense litigation support via examination of depositions, company records,risk management surveys, policies and procedures,crime scene reports and physical examination of area. Render opinion based on "best practice"approach and of totality of circumstances pertaining to subject matter.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial consultation of one hour no charge. Initial nonrefundable retainer fee of $5,000.00 $150.00 an hour thereafter.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150.00 an hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $1,400.00 flat rate for 1st four hours, $350.00 for each hour thereafter. Within a 25 mile radius of home domicile no travel time or expense charged. Outside 25 mile radius travel charged at $150.00 per hour portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation lodging and food.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $ 3,000.00 minimum for first four hours payable upon completion of testimony.
$ 350.00 per hour thereafter. Within 25 mile radius of home domicile no travel time or expense charged. Outside 25 mile radius charged at $ 150.00 dollars per hour portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation,lodging and food.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel costs and per Diem are quoted on individual case basis. Out of pocket costs are quoted on an individual basis. Reproduction costs charged at.25 cents a page plus preparation and shipping.
605 West 47th Street #320
Kansas City,Missouri 64112-1905
Sarah Baron Houy
333 West Boulevard
P.O. Box 2670
Rapid City, South Dakota 57709
10955 Lowell,Suite 440
Overland Park, Kansas 66210