Mr.Stephenson is a former Police Officer, FBI Agent, FBI Police Instructor, FBI - SWAT/Firearms Instructor/Defensive Tactics Instructor and FBI National Academy Instructor. Mr. Stephenson is a certified Use of Force/Firearm's Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri. Mr. Stephenson is certified by Taser International as a Taser instructor for Private Security Officers. Mr. Stephenson is a certified ALICE instructor pertaining to Active Shooters in the public school environment. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of the AELE Lethal/Less Lethal Use of Force certification program and is certified as a Litigation Specialist - Police. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of the Crime Scene Shooting Reconstruction - Ballistics program awarded thru Forensic Pieces, Inc., Pensacola, Florida. Mr. Stephenson maintains his expertise by attending contemporary in-service programs in Use of Force (Lethal/less Lethal) and Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics.
Mr. Stephenson's education coupled with his work experience inclusive of the exchange of gunfire with armed criminal subjects during his Law Enforcement career, provide him with a unique perspective when analyzing the concepts of " The Totality of the Circumstance" and weather the Use of Force was (Objectively Unreasonable). His work experience and education provide him with the analytical tools necessary to conduct realistic assessments and render opinions on Crime Scene Reconstruction, Ballistics - Bullet Trajectory, and Sequence of fire relative to the incident.
Mr. Stephenson has over 30 years experience in Public Law Enforcement, Contract Security Guard Operations and the Private Investigative Industry. He has been deposed and testified as an Expert Witness in numerous State and Federal jurisdictions concerning Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics and the use of Lethal/Less Lethal Force by Law Enforcement Officers and Private Security Guards. Mr. Stephenson has also been deposed and testified in numerous jurisdictions concerning the failure to provide adequate security at bars, apartment complexes, shopping malls, office complexes and Special Event gatherings.
Mr. Stephenson applies his education and unique work experience to evaluate the circumstances involving false arrest/illegal detention, wrongful death and excessive Use of Force issues by Private Security and Public Law enforcement officers. Mr.Stephenson evaluates each incident based on the "totality of the circumstance" and whether the use of force was " objectively reasonable ".
Mr. Stephenson is an advocate of training programs on Use of Lethal/less Lethal Force and Deescalation Tactics that are based on dynamic scenario based guidelines.
Mr. Stephenson is pleased to announce his association with Dr. Gerald R. Griffin, Associate Professor at University of Phoenix, Undergraduate & Doctoral Courses. Dr Griffin is a former law enforcement officer who actively teaches Conflict Management in Criminal Justice and Organizational Theory/Behavior, Strategic Planning and Decision making. Dr. Griffin will provide valuable insight and expertise to Mr. Stephenson involving Use of Force issues.
Through his investigative firm Orion Investigations, Mr. Stephenson offers Civil/Criminal Investigations, the location and interview of witnesses and subpoena services.
Mr. Stephenson was deployed as an undercover FBI operative during the armed conflict with AIM radicals on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Mr. Stephenson was deployed as an FBI SWAT team member on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation and exchanged gunfire with radical members of AIM subsequent to the murder of two FBI Agents.
During the 1992 Clinton\Gore Presidential Campaign Mr. Stephenson traveled with the campaign as a Security/ Electronic Interception of Oral Communications Countermeasures consultant.
Mr. Stephenson testified in U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon on behalf of Ammon Bundy and other co-defendants who where charged with conspiracy and firearms violations in connection with the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016. His testimony centered around Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics. All defendants were acquitted of all charges.
Mr. Stephenson was a guest instructor at the Air Force Judge Advocate School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama lecturing on Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics/Trajectory.
Mr. Stephenson will be a featured commentator in an upcoming documentary entitled " Reasonable Doubt" involving police investigative procedures were used during a homicide investigation.
www.Backgrounds Plus. com
- 1983 Litigation
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Crime Scene Analysis
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Firearms & Ballistics
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Lighting & Illumination
- Police Procedures
- Premises Liability
- Private Investigators
- Retail Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor Of Science Degree, pursuing MBA Baker University, in Human Resource Management.
Former FBI Police Instructor in Use of Force, Firearms, Self-Defense and Weapon Retention. FBI Instructor Pilot Air Surveillance Operations.FBI National Academy Instructor for Law Enforcement officers attending FBI National Academy.
Certified Firearms Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri for Private Investigators and Civilians. Licensed Private Detective in Kansas and Missouri.
Certified by Taser International as instructor for Private Security in the use of Taser weapons. Graduate AELE foundation use of Letal/Less Lethal Force, Certified Litigation Specialist - Police Crime - Scene Reconstruction. Certified in Homeland Security- Level II thru The American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.Certified Instructor in ALICE techniques in Active Shooter Countermeasures awarded thru the Alice Training Institute.
Graduate of Crime Scene Reconstruction - Firearms, Ballistics awarded thru Forensic Pieces. Pensacola, Florida. Numerous certificates awarded in CE for firearms/ballistics use of force - lethal/less lethal
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Industrial Security
International Association of Chiefs of Police
American College of Forensic Examiners Institute
Kansas Association of Licensed Investigators
Kansas Association of Private Investigators
Missouri Association of Private Investigators
World Association of Private Investigators
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I instruct and lecture on Security and Risk Management topics for the private business sector and the Private Security/Investigative Industry on: Interview techniques, Appropriate handling of handguns and shoulder weapons, Active Shooter Survival Techniques, Firearms Use, Law Enforcement and the Private Citizen in an open carry society. Self Defense, Lethal/less lethal techniques, Crime Scene Reconstruction and Ballistics. Guest Instructor United States Air Force, Judge Advocate School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama - Crime Scene Reconstruction/ Ballistics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Between 25/30 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Crime Scene Reconstruction; Ballistics; Premises Liability Foresee ability;Contract Security Guard Negligence Hiring and Retention; Excessive Use of Force Lethal/Less Lethal for Law Enforcement Officers and Security Guards. Use of Taser Weapons.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 70%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10 to 15
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 6//2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 25 /30 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: none
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Plaintiff/Defense litigation support on incidents involving; Use of Force lethal/less lethal policies and procedures as it pertains to the totality of the circumstance, Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics -Firearms
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial consultation one hour no charge. Standard rate of $175.00 an hour for document review and subsequent discussions thereafter. An initial retainer fee may be required upon completion an discussion of engagement agreement parameters.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $175.00 an hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $ 3,000.00 flat rate for 1st four hours, $350.00 for each hour thereafter based on an 8 hour day. Within a 25 mile radius of home domicile no travel time or expense charged. Outside 25 mile radius travel charged at $175.00 per hour portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation lodging and food.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $ 3,000.00 minimum for first eight hours of testimony. $ 350.00 per hour thereafter. Based on an 8 hour day.Travel time charged at $ 175.00 per hour portal to portal. Transportation costs - airfare actual costs, .75 cents a mile for automobile,lodging and food actual.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel costs and per diem are quoted on individual case basis based on an 8 hour day portal to portal. Report construction $175.00 an hour. Reproduction costs to download/print discovery material.25 cents a page plus shipping.
605 West 47th Street #320
Kansas City,Missouri 64112-1905
Sarah Baron Houy
333 West Boulevard
P.O. Box 2670
Rapid City, South Dakota 57709
10955 Lowell,Suite 440
Overland Park, Kansas 66210
1418 McCallie Avenue