Mr.Stephenson is a former Police Officer, FBI Agent, FBI Police Instructor, FBI - SWAT/Firearms Instructor/Defensive Tactics Instructor, FBI Flight Instructor, FBI National Academy Instructor and Firearm's Instructor for the State of Kansas. Mr. Stephenson is certified by Taser International as a Taser instructor for Private Security Officers. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of the AELE institute Lethal/Less Lethal Force certification program and is certified thru AELE as a Litigation Specialist - Police. Mr. Stephenson is a graduate of Crime Scene Shooting Reconstruction - Ballistics school awarded thru Forensic Pieces, Inc. Pensacola, Florida. Mr. Stephenson maintains his expertise by attending on going educational programs in Use of Force ( Lethal/less Lethal), Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics. His work experience and education provide valuable insight when considering the " Totality of the Circumstance" as relates to; Excessive Use of Force ( Objectively Unreasonable), Crime Scene Reconstruction, Ballistics - Bullet Trajectory, Sequence of Fire and evaluation of spent shell casings and bullets.Mr. Stephenson utilizes his work experience and education to evaluate Use of Force Incidents (Lethal/Less Lethal) involving by Law Enforcement Officers when they are making an arrest. Mr. Stephenson has over 30 years experience in Public Law Enforcement, Contract Security Guard Operations and the Private Investigative Industry. He has been deposed and testified as an Expert Witness in numerous State and Federal jurisdictions concerning Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics, Lethal/Less Lethal Use of Force by Law Enforcement Officer"s and Private Security guards. He has been deposed and testified in numerous State and Federal jurisdictions concerning the failure to provide adequate security at bars, apartment complexes, shopping malls, office complexes and Special Event gatherings. Mr. Stephenson utilizes his education and work experience to examine false arrest/illegal detention, wrongful death and excessive Use of Force issues by Private Security and Public Law enforcement officers. Mr.Stephenson evaluates each incident base on thew "totality of the circumstances" involved tempered with 30 years of operational field experience. Mr. Stephenson understands that training, policies and procedures involving use of Lethal/less Lethal Force needs to be based on dynamic scenario based guidelines to insure they comply with contemporary use of force protocol.
Mr. Stephenson is pleased to announce his association with Dr. Gerald R. Griffin, Associate Professor at University of Phoenix, Undergraduate & Doctoral Courses. Dr Griffin is a former law enforcement officer who actively teaches Conflict Management in Criminal Justice and Organizational Theory/Behavior, Strategic Planning and Decision making. DR. Griffin will provide valuable insight and expertise to Mr. Stephenson involving Use of Force issues.
Through his investigative firm ( O rion Investigations), Mr. Stephenson offers Civil/Criminal Investigations the location and interview of witnesses and subpoena services.
During the 1992 Clinton\Gore Presidential Campaign Mr. Stephenson traveled with the campaign as a paid Security/ Electronic Interception of Oral Communications Countermeasures consultant. Mr. Stephenson testified in U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon on behalf of Ammon Bundy and other co-defendants who where charged with conspiracy and firearms violations in connection with the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016. His testimony centered around Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics. All defendants were acquitted of all charges on.
Mr. Stephenson was a guest instructor at the Air Force Judge Advocate School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama on Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics/Trajectory.
www.Backgrounds Plus. com
Areas of Expertise
- 1983 Litigation
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Crime Scene Analysis
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Firearms & Ballistics
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Lighting & Illumination
- Police Procedures
- Premises Liability
- Private Investigators
- Retail Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor Of Science Degree; Pursuing MBA, Baker University, in Human Resource Management. FBI Police Instructor; Firearms, Self-Defense,Weapon Retention;FBI Instructor Pilot Air Surveillance Operations-FBI National Academy Instructor for Local Law enforcement officers attending National Academy;Certified Firearms Instructor for the State of Kansas and Missouri for Private Investigators and Civilian Concealed Carry- FAA Flight Instructor- Airline Transport Pilot Rated. Licensed Private Detective for Kansas and Missouri. Homeland Security Certified.Certified by Taser International as instructor for Private Security in the use of Taser weapons. Graduate AELE foundation use of Letal/Less Lethal Force, Certified Litigation Specialist - Police Crime - Scene Reconstruction. Certified in Homeland Security- Level II thru The American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.Certified Instructor in ALICE techniques in Active Shooter Countermeasures - Alice Training Institute. Graduate of Crime Scene Reconstruction - Firearms, Ballistics thru Forensic Pieces. Pensacola, Florida. Numerous certificates awarded in CE for firearms/ballistics use of force - lethal/less lethal
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Industrial Security
International Association Chiefs of Police
American College of Forensic Examiners Institute
Kansas Association Of Licensed Investigators
Kansas Association of Private Investigators
Missouri Association of Private Investigators
World Association of Private Investigators
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I instruct and lecture on Security and Risk Management topics for the private business sector and the Private Security/Investigative Industry; in the following areas: Interview techniques, Appropriate use and handling of handguns and shoulder weapons, Active Shooter Survival Techniques, Contemporary Issues involving firearms, law enforcement and the private citizen in an open carry society. Self Defense and the use lethal/less lethal techniques, Crime Scene Reconstruction and Ballistics. Instructor United States Air Force, JUdgre Advocate School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama - Crime Scene Reconstruction- Ballistics
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Between 25/30 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics ,Premises Liability,Foresee-ability,Contract Security Guard Negligence Hiring and Retention. Excessive Use of Force Lethal/Less Lethal,for Law Enforcement Officers and Security Guards. Appropriate use of Taser Weapons. The safe handling of handguns and shoulder weapons. .
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 70%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10 to 15
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 01/25/2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15/20 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: none
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Plaintiff/defense litigation support via examination of depositions, company records,risk management surveys, policies and procedures,crime scene reports and physical examination of area. Crime Scene Reconstruction - Ballistics -Firearms
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Initial consultation of one hour no charge. Initial nonrefundable retainer fee of $5,000.00 $175.00 an hour thereafter.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $175.00 an hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $ 3,000.00 flat rate for 1st four hours, $350.00 for each hour thereafter. Within a 25 mile radius of home domicile no travel time or expense charged. Outside 25 mile radius travel charged at $175.00 per hour portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation lodging and food.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $ 3,000.00 minimum for first eight hours payable upon completion of testimony.
$ 350.00 per hour thereafter. Travel time $ 175.00 portal to portal. Actual cost for transportation, .51 cents a mile automobile,lodging and food actual.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel costs and per Diem are quoted on individual case basis. Out of pocket costs ( travel/expenses) quoted on an individual basis. Report construction $175.00 an hour. Reproduction costs to download/print discovery material.25 cents a page plus shipping.
605 West 47th Street #320
Kansas City,Missouri 64112-1905
Sarah Baron Houy
333 West Boulevard
P.O. Box 2670
Rapid City, South Dakota 57709
10955 Lowell,Suite 440
Overland Park, Kansas 66210
1418 McCallie Avenue