Dr. Bjerke is available for expert opinion, testimony, or legal consultation in all areas of spine surgery. He has provided expert testimony for Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Medical Malpractice, and cass of Physician Competence. Reasonable rates and expedited turnaround will be provided. Visit expertspinesurgeon.com for additional information.
He has trained in all areas of spinal surgery at top institutions around the country, including minimally invasive spine surgery, cervical disorders, degenerative spinal conditions, trauma and post-traumatic conditions, tumor, infection, as well as complex and revision spine surgery. He has trained with all cutting edge and leading surgical technologies, including minimal access surgery techniques, stereotactic computer-aided navigation, and motion-preserving procedures.
Dr. Bjerke has authored several publications in Spine, The Spine Journal, and many other peer-reviewed journals. He has shared his research in over 30 national and international meeting presentations.
Areas of Expertise
- Laser Surgery
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Personal Injury
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Spine Surgery
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons, Board Certification (valid through 2028)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Dr. Bjerke has provided legal testimony for the following cases in 2019:
• ACDF resulting in vocal cord paralysis
• ACDF resulting in vocal cord injury
• ACDF resulting in vertebral artery injury and death
• Broken instrumentation during lumbar fusion
• Cerebrospinal fluid leak from dural tear following lumbar fusion, resulting in nerve damage
• Cerebrospinal fluid leak following microdiscectomy with nerve damage
• Pars repair performed using off-label instrumentation, followed by instrumentation failure
Motor Vehicle Accidents
• Cervical injury from automobile accident, treated with amniotic fluid and other regenerative treatments
• Motor vehicle accident resulting in lumbar injury, second opinion offered on need for spinal fusion
Spinal Cord Injury
• Scoliosis deformity correction in pediatric patient resulting in spinal cord injury and paralysis
• Posterior thoracic/lumbar decompression and fusion resulting in incomplete spinal cord injury
• XLIF procedure with misplaced screw resulting in incomplete spinal cord injury
• Sacroiliac injury following work injury requiring fusion
• Spinal cord stimulator placement and failure
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 80
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $1000/hr
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses.
Available Upon Request