Dr. William J. Vigilante Jr. is a human factors expert providing forensic expert services in civil and criminal litigation matters as well as traditional consulting services regarding issues related to consumer and commercial product design; roadway and vehicle safety; premises safety; and the design, development, and assessment of product warnings, signs, and user manuals.
Dr. William J. Vigilante, Jr., is a Board Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE) with over 25 years of experience in the field of human factors/ergonomics.
Dr. Vigilante is an establish researcher in the field of warnings and risk perception and has authored more than 36 professional research papers related to the factors that affect the adequacy of warnings and how people perceive risks. Dr. Vigilante has worked in the design, development, and testing of over 100 consumer and commercial products along with the warnings and user instructions that accompanied many of those products.
Dr. Vigilante is a human factors expert who possesses more than 25 years of experience researching driver performance and roadway safety. In his 17+ years as a forensic consultant, Dr. Vigilante has investigated over a 150 motor vehicle collisions, including pedestrian knockdowns and motor vehicle crashes involving stopped or slow moving vehicles, driver distraction/cell phone use, driver fatigue / drowsiness, intoxicated drivers, and the lack of positive guidance and/or warnings.
Dr. Vigilante is a human factors expert with extensive experience in pedestrian safety researching pedestrian behavior and human gait and working with retailers to re-design their point of sales operations to improve pedestrian movement and efficiency. As a forensic consultant, Dr. Vigilante has been involved in the investigation of over 150 slip, trip, and fall injuries addressing issues related to open and obviousness (conspicuity) of walkway hazards, premises and walkway lighting, and retail store safety.
As a court-qualified human factors expert, Dr. Vigilante has conducted forensic investigations and provided expert services across the United States, within the Caribbean, and Canada. Dr. Vigilante has testified in numerous state and federal courts across the country as an expert in human factors / ergonomics related to warnings, vehicle collisions, product safety, work place safety, pedestrian falls, and other related areas.
Dr. Vigilante is an avid motorcyclist and enjoys riding his Harley Davidson Softtail Deluxe in his free time. Dr. Vigilante is also an avid skier, a NRA certified firearms instructor, and a competitive shooter.
- Driver Behavior
- Human Factors
- Labels & Warnings
- Safety Engineering
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D., Psychology/Ergonomics - North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2001
M.S., Psychology/Ergonomics - North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1997
B.S., Psychology/Cognitive Track - University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, 1993
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Safety Engineers
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
Transportation Research Board
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Numerous conference presentations at national scientific meetings.
Numerous presentations for legal and insurance organizations.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 500
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Human factors, warnings, risk perception, audible alarms, back up alarms, driver behavior, driver performance, motor vehicle collisions, slow moving vehicles, distracted driving, fatigue and drowsiness, positive guidance, road signage, work zone signs, roadway lighting, walkway lighting, vision and hearing, premise liability, slip/trip and falls, stairway falls, retail safety, work place safety, machine safety, ski and winter sports safety, consumer product design, boating accidents, control and display desing, etc.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 150
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 45 plus
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Over 45
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17 plus
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Case consulting, discovery questions, document review, analysis, testing, site inspections, calculations, testimony, exhibit creation, and other forensic related services.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: No charge for initial case consultation. $450/hour once retained.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Live testimony is billed at $450/hour. Videotaped testimony is billed at $475/hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Live testimony is billed at $450/hour. Videotaped testimony is billed at $550/hour.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Case related expenses (e.g., travel expenses, related research materials and standards, copies, exhibits, etc.) are passed along at cost with no markup.
2200 Sun Trust Plaza
303 Peachtree Street, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30308
227 W. Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
McCathern & Mooty, LLP3710 Rawlins Street
Dallas, TX 75219
Angino & Rovner, P.C.
4503 North Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Robert Weber III
Cella, Flanagan, & Weber, PC
21 Washington Avenue
North Haven, CT 06473