Dr. William R. Sawyer is a professional toxicologist with a doctorate in toxicology from Indiana University School of Medicine. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Forensic Medicine and has over 26 years of extensive experience in public health and forensic toxicology with specialized expertise in causation analyses, (plaintiff and defendant; criminal and civil) including alcohol toxicology, drugs-of-abuse, pharmaceuticals, herbal products, dioxins, solvents, heavy metals, crude oil and other chemicals. Dr. Sawyer has testified in trial or deposition in over 30 states including NY, MA, CT, PA, RI, NH, DE, NJ, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, Al, MS, LA, AR, MO, KY, IN, IL, WI, MI, OH, MN, MT, WA, CA, TX and OK.
As a skilled scientist and communicator in the area of forensic toxicology and toxic tort, Dr. Sawyer provides services to governmental agencies, corporations, select plaintiffs or defendants. Dr. Sawyer currently serves as Chief Toxicologist for Toxicology Consultants and Assessment Specialists, LLC and served for 23 years as an Assistant Professor (adjunct) with the Department of Medicine, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York. Dr. Sawyer also has approximately 14 years experience as a licensed clinical and environmental laboratory director in several states.
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Drug Abuse
- Environmental Medicine
- Industrial Medicine
- Lead Poisoning
- Medical Toxicology
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BOARD CERTIFICATIONS:
Diplomate, American Board of Forensic Medicine 1996-Current
Diplomate, American Board of Forensic Examiners 1994-Current
Indiana University School of Medicine 1983 - 1988
Robert B. Forney, Ph.D. Committee Chairman
Ph.D. Toxicology, 1988
State University of New York at Geneseo 1979 -1982
Edward Ritter, Ph.D. Committee Chairman
Masters Degree, Cellular & Molecular Biology 1982
State University of New York at Geneseo 1976 -1978
Bachelor of Science Degree, Biology 1978
State University of New York Agricultural 1974 -1976
and Technical College at Morrisville
Associate Degree, 1976
New York State Department of Health
Certificate of Qualification
Clinical Laboratory Director
License Code No. SAWYW1 (inactive)
New York State Department of Health
Environmental Laboratory Director, ELAP License #11369 (inactive)
South Carolina Department of Health
Environmental Laboratory Director, ELAP License #91011001 (inactive)
New Jersey DEPE Laboratory Director, License #73744 (inactive)
Asbestos Inspector, EPA Certificate No. 10-111-50-1303 (inactive)
OSHA 29 CFR1910.120 40-hour Certified
Hazardous Waste Operations & Emergency Response (recertified 12-2004)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society 1986 - Current
American College of Forensic Examiners 1995 - Current
National Myositis Association 1995 - 1997
(Medical Advisory Board Member)
American Academy of Forensic Sciences 1985 - Current
(Member, promoted to Fellow, 1998)
Society of Automotive Engineering (Member) 1986 - Current
The International Association of Forensic 1985 - Current
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Assistant adjunct professor, Dept. of Medicine (14 years teaching experience); considerable experience with the news media including national news (NBC); special guest speaker at national conferences and scientific meetings, etc.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Several hundred over the past 27 years
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Multiple areas of toxicology, forensic toxicology and analytical toxicology
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 35%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: over 200
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: multiple during 2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: over 100
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 27
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting and expert witness services with respect to alcohol toxicology, analytical testing, carcinogenesis, chemical causation assessments, asbestos, carbon monoxide, dioxin toxicology, mass toxic tort, pharmaceuticals, forensic toxicology, petroleum toxicology, drugs-of abuse, heavy metals, pesticides, janitorial products, laboratory services.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: After preliminary review and acceptance of the matter, $380.00/hour. No charge for initial consults.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Same
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $2300 per 1/2 day (local) or $4600 per day
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Same
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel at 75% of hourly
References upon request.