William Cousins has over 35 years of experience in both law enforcement and security. Mr. Cousins is uniquely qualified to offer services as an expert witness, litigation support, security consultant and professional trainer.
Mr. Cousins is a retired Supervisory Special Agent with the United States Secret Service. Mr. Cousins has continued his career for over 15 years in the private sector. A graduate of the Johns Hopkins University – Police Executive Leadership Program, Mr. Cousins earned a Master’s of Science degree in Leadership and Community Development. He is Board Certified by the American Society of Industrial Security having earned the Certified Protection Professional designation.
As a Risk Management and Security Professional, Mr. Cousins is able to provide consulting and advisory services, based on his years of operational experience as well as his management and academic experience.
Mr. Cousins is a sought after speaker on the subject of security. Additionally, he serves as an adjunct professor in the Criminal Justice Department at Oakland University, where he teaches security administration.
Founded in 2014, WJ Cousins & Associates LLC is an award winning firm (Corp Magazine – 2021 Most Valuable Entrepreneur), for his security contributions in the developing cannabis industry. He has authored security plans and policies and procedures for different classifications of cannabis licenses.
Mr. Cousins represents both plaintiff and defense by analyzing the facts of the case to formulate professional opinions.
- Bank Security
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Premises Liability
- Retail Security
- Risk Management
- School Security
- Security Guards
- Security Management
- Special Event Security
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: M.S. Johns Hopkins University, Police Executive Leadership Program, B.S. Madonna University-Criminal Justice, Certified Polygraph Examiner - Department of Defense Polygraph Institute, American Society for Industrial Security - Certified Protection Professional
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Detroit Crime Commissioner - Commissioner, Oakland County Sheriff Advisory Council - Member, American Society for Industrial Security - Member and Former Board of Directors-Detroit Chapter, Association of Certified Commercial Cannabis Experts - Member, International Chief's of Police - Member, Association of Former U.S. Secret Service Agents - Member
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: U.S. Secret Service Office of Training - Control Tactics and Use of Force, Oakland University - Adjunct Professor/Criminal Justice/Security Administration, Birmingham, MI Rotary Club - Topic: Comprehensive Cannabis Security Operations, Crime Prevention Association of Michigan - Topic: Comprehensive Cannabis Security Operations, Michigan Cannabis Industry Summit & Expo - Topic:Security for Michigan's Marijuana Industry, American Society for Industrial Security - Topic - Securing Medical Marijuana in Michigan, Society for Human Resource Management, Detroit - Topic - Executive Travel and Business Security, Women Grow - Ann Arbor - Topic:Background Checks and Vulnerability Assessments for Medical Marijuana Facilities, Michigan School Business Officials Conference - Topic: 12 Types of School Safety Technologies, Monterry, MX Institute of Technology & Higher Education - Topic - Security in Business. Published Interviews and Articles include: 10/20/19- Radio Talk Show - SME-Topic: Raising Cannabis Capital, 08/2018- Corp Magazine SME interview for the article "The Green Boom" by LHave any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)arry O'Connor, 7/25/18 - SME in Security and How it Relates to the Medical Marihuana Industry for, "The Price of Business." 8/25/2016 - El Sol de Toluca - Interviewed by Alma Rios, Topic: "Fear in US and Drug Cartels are Linked."
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 1
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Security Officer Use of Force/Oleoresin Capsicum
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 100%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 0%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 1
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 1 year
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, Expert Testimony, Opinions, Reports, On-Site Inspections
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $200/Hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $200/Hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350/Hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400/hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Normal routine and acceptable expenses such as travel related, administrative, etc.
Available Upon Request