Dr. Barnhart is board certified in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics. He is a University Faculty member with teaching experience at medical school, residency and practicing physician levels. He has 35 years experience in medical legal matters including medical malpractice, personal injury, and educational malpractice. He continues to practice geriatrics and internal medicine at a major University Hospital.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Medicine
- Long Term Care
- Medical Malpractice
- Preventive Medicine
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Clinical Geriatrics.
MBA with distinction from the Keller Graduate School of Management.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member ACP, AMA, AMDA, AGS, and multiple educatonal organizations.
Fellow of the American College of Physicians and The Institute of Medicine of Chicago.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 40 years of teaching experience. Including College, Medical School, Residency programs and multiple CME programs for practicing physicians in the areas of geriatrics, evidence based medicine, clinical decision making, cognitive error, internal medicine and medical malpractice. Presenter at national and regional meetings in the areas of ethics, medical error, malpractice and medical error.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 400 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, health screening, medical error, primary care medicine, wrongful death, personal injury, workmen's compensation, graduate medical education and medical ethics.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 100
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: one month ago
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 50-75
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 40-50
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 35 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Record review, attestation letter filing, depositions both discovery and evidence, attorney trial preparation and extensive trial experience in multiple states including Illinois, PA., AZ, La, and multiple other jurisdictions both jury and judge fact finders.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400 if case accepted. Brief opinions as to nature of case and fit with my areas of expertise are at nocharge.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $600
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses are extra. Any other fees necessary for testimony are additional.
References upon request.