Mr. Murphy is a Registered Civil Engineer (RCE), Registered Environmental Assessor (REA), and Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC). He has extensive first-hand experience in site survey, design, preparation of plans and specifications, and project management of Site Civil improvement Projects that include: Grading, Drainage, Storm Water Treatment, Hillside Restoration, Retaining Walls, Streets (incl. Pavement Renovation), and Infrastructure Utility work.
He has provided expert witness services for 25 years, including current HOA and private party cases involving; water intrusion, slope failure, drainage/flooding, grading, retaining walls, detention basins, pavement failure, utility pipe breakage and boundary disputes.
Areas of Expertise
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Site
- Disabled Access
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydrology & Groundwater
- Mapping & Surveying
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Water Utility
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BS in Civil Engineering/Material Science, UC Davis, 1980
Registered Civil Engineer (RCE), California, #36939
Registerd Environmental Assessor (REA), California, #5541
Certified Professional Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC), #973
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Public Works Association (APWA)
Ventura County Council of Civil Engineers (CCEVC)
Rotary Breakfast Club of Camarillo
Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Project Presentations to City Councils, City Planning Commissions, County Board of Supervisors on an ongoing basis on behalf of Project Applicants for Land Divisions and Site Improvements.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Roughly: 80
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Water Intrusion
Hillside or Embankment Failure
Utility Pipe Failure
Pavement (streets, parking lots, driveways)
Site Subgrade Stabilization
Site Surveys incl. boundary and easement disputes
Site Retaining Walls
Storm Water Treatment
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10 - 12
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2 weeks ago (9/22/10)
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 4 - 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4 - 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting - Case Review and Input
Site Inspections and Evaluation
Material (soil, pavement, effluent) testing and reporting
Construction Defect Reports; Case evaluation, preliminary repair design and cost estimates, summary opinons as needed.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $160.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $160.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $200.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel Time: $80.00
Reimbursables: Plan Printing/Plotting, Site Photos, Overnight Mail, Agency Research costs, etc., charged as Direct Expenses at no mark-up.
References upon request.