Tom McNulty has more than 20 years of experience working across the energy value chain. He advises companies, banks, regulators, private capital funds, and attorneys. Tom draws on a rare combination of industry, banking, consulting, and government experience to provide transaction, litigation, and valuation advisory services to his clients. He is a nationally recognized commodity and energy industry expert, and is a frequent contributor on CNBC, Fox Business, and Bloomberg TV. As an advisor, and in his corporate career, he has valued more than $46 billion in energy-related assets, businesses, and transactions. He has also advised on or executed $11 billion plus in M&A and principal investment deals, and executed or valued more than $13 billion notional in derivative instruments. His expert litigation work has included shareholder disputes, business valuation, derivatives and hedging, and damages assessments.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Banking
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Risk Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BA, Yale University
MBA, Northwestern University
Certificate in Quantitative Finance - CQF
Financial Risk Manager - FRM
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 12/31/2015 Power Lunch, CNBC, “Oil and Gas Market Update”
01/19/2016 “Lifting the Oil Export Ban-Market Impact,” Oil and Gas Monitor
01/21/2016 The Rundown, CNBC, “Oilfield Services Company Valuations”
02/03/2016 Bloomberg Markets, Bloomberg TV, “Update on Natural Gas Market”
02/25/2016 Bloomberg Markets, Bloomberg TV, “M&A Activity in Energy”
02/19/2016 “Sunset Funds-Valuation Issues,” Oil and Gas Monitor
05/27/2016 Bloomberg Markets, Bloomberg TV, “Valuations in Oil and Gas Markets”
06/01/2016 Law360, “The EFH Bankruptcy and Oncor Deal-Lessons Learned”
12/02/2016 Fox Business Network, “Countdown to the Closing Bell,” “OPEC Update”
12/29/2016 Bloomberg Radio, Bloomberg Markets, “2017 Energy M&A Preview”
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Six.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Energy and Oil and Gas: shareholder disputes, business valuation, derivatives and hedging, and damages assessments.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None as yet.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Six times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None as yet.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Five years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Initial case assessment
Litigation strategy assistance
Complex financial analysis and modeling
Valuation and damage theory formulation
Expert witness testimony and reports
Available Upon Request