My engineering consulting practice is focused on the following areas: Railroad Accident Reconstruction and litigation, Metallurgical Engineering/Failure Analysis, Railroad Engineering, new product development and Product Liability Litigation
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Automotive Engineering
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Design Engineering
- Products Liability
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Thomas E. Johnson, P. E. has a Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN. He is a licensed Professional Engineer (P. E.), ACTAR certified (ACTAR #1517), OSHA certified, and Hazwoper training certified.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • Licensed Professional Engineer (PE-033313E), (1984 – Present)
• Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers (1997 – Present)
• National Society of Professional Engineers (1997 – Present)
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist (2004 – Present)
• Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR # 1517)
• Adjunct Faculty, Material Science, Gannon University (1983-1993)
• American Society for Metals (ASM) (1978-present)
• American Foundry Society (AFS) (1997 – Present)
• Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) (1994 – Present)
• Certified OSHA General Industry Regulations (2011 – Present)
• Adjunct Faculty, University of Wisconsin – Madison (2008 – 2009)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I was an adjunct faculty professor at Gannon University in Erie, PA from 1983-1993 and taught introduction to Material's Science in Gannon's Engineering department. I was an adjunct faculty at the University of Wisconsin for their railroad operations class in 2009-2010. I
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: NO
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 225 legal cases
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Metallurgical Engineering & Failure Analysis, Railroad Engineering, Expert Witness – Railroad & Product Liability Litigation, Locomotive and Rail car Equipment & Operation Analysis, Railcar and Equipment Loading, Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR Certified), OSHA Regulations (OSHA Certified), Locomotive Event Recorder Download Analysis, Crude by Rail- Derailment Investigation & DOT 111 Tank Car Design, Diesel Engine Design and Re-manufacturing- Component Failure Analysis, Diesel Locomotive Fuel Consumption Analysis, Brake Design and Analysis, Train Derailment Analysis, Product Liability, New Product Development
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: I have had my deposition taken 39 times as of 7/1/2016
References upon request.