Provides expert witness consulting services in litigation involving individual life insurance products (focusing on illustrations, product performance, design features, and sales practices).
Mr. Theodore E. Affleck has over 40 years in the insurance industry, including 3 years as an agent and agency supervisor. He has seen every aspect of life insurance product design, sales illustrations, marketing strategies, and competitive analysis.
Mr. Affleck now makes all that experience available to insurance company home offices, software vendors, Trust Departments, and third party administrators. Mr. Affleck will consult in the areas of life insurance product design, training, marketing and sales applications, illustrations, competitive support materials, and in-force policy analysis.
In addition, Mr. Affleck provides consulting services and expert witness testimony to attorneys who are involved in legal actions relating to life insurance illustrations, product performance, design features, and sales practices. Mr. Affleck has analyzed legal cases from the perspectives of both plaintiffs and defendants.
[NOTE: In view of his past employment with Connecticut Mutual (and with MassMutual after the merger in 1996), Mr. Affleck will not accept employment on behalf of plaintiffs in any cases brought against MassMutual or any of its affiliated or predecessor companies. He will also not accept employment on a contingent fee basis.]
Areas of Expertise
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Fraud
- Life Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: CLU - 1978
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Society of Financial Service Professionals, Securities Experts Roundtable
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 75
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Litigation & arbitrations involving life insurance products
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 85%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 15%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 16
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: February, 2014
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: twice, most cases ended up being settled and therefore never got to trial
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: five
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, reports, analysis, product modeling and testing
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel time is billed at $150/hour
Robert Gilbert Esq.
Gilbert & Renton LLC
344 North Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
Strauss Troy Co., LPA
The Federal Reserve Building
150 East fourth Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Hermann Kahn Schneider, LLP
1301 E. 9th Street, Suite 500
Cleveland, OH 44114
Bouhan Falligant, LLP
The Armstrong House
447 Bull Street
Savannah, GA 31401
Stacy & Conder, LLP
901 Main Street, Suite 6220
Dallas, TX 75202